Arrival

After about 10 minutes, we arrive at the train station. It is huge, and like everything in the Capitol, much more extravagant than anything we had in District 3. It has high, arched ceilings, and marble floors packed with Capitol citizens. They are waving and screaming.
I guess they wanted to meet us, and to be able to tell their friends, "Darling, do you know what? I met the District 3 tributes today! It was simply ravishing! I am definitely sponsoring them!"
They are screaming out names, and Shanna comes up behind us and says, "Wave, darlings. The only way that you will get sponsors is if you interact with them."
At this, Myron and I begin to wave shyly at the screaming people
They wave back, and judging by their enthusiasm, you would have thought that we were waving at each of them individually. The start to chant out names.
Then, the train glides to a stop, and the people make a gap for the train doors, and four Peace-Keepers come waking down through the gap. One for Myron, me, Shanna, and Kilee, who is silently standing behind me and Myron. The doors open, and we walk out, Shanna in the lead. She is waving graciously to the cheering crowd. I follow behind her, looking at all of the oddly-dressed people with their strange hair. Myron slumps along behind me, looking at the ground, and Kilee brings up the rear, staring straight ahead with her steely gaze.
We arrive at a huge, white building with two women waiting by the doors. They both are dressed entirely in red, simple clothes with their hair done in elaborate swirls on top of their head. They keep their heads down as they open the doors.
I thought that the train was extravagant. The train looks like simple hut compared to this suit. There are wall-to-wall plush carpets that are patterned with stripes, making the room appear even larger than it is. There is a massive crystal chandelier hanging from the 50 foot high ceiling. In the entry hall alone, there are three huge, cushy couches.
We walk through the door into the living room/dining room. On one wall, there is a tremendous bookcase that reaches from the floor to the top of the ornate, carved crown molding. In this room, the floors are made of gray marble, and in the center of the room is a green and blue rug. On the other wall, there is a huge fireplace, with a crackling fire heating up the room. There is a couch and several plush chairs situated around the screen, which I suppose will play videos of the Reapings across the districts. There is also a huge, mahogany table with a beautiful floral centerpiece.
Scattered across the room, next to the screen, beside the two doors that I think lead to our rooms, next to the table and by the doorway that we are standing in are the silent servants. All of them remain completely still, eyes downcast. None of them so much as blink as we walk in, even though Shanna is prattling away.
"And the floors are imported from District 2, and the rug is hand-made! It took over 3 months to complete..."
She is very proud of the suite. She is acting like she built the entire suite, brick by brick.
"And now," she concludes. "You two may go to your rooms while the Avox prepares dinner."
One of the silent women nods her head and heads off to a door on the wall behind the table. I guess that's what they are called, Avoxes. Servants, or slaves might be a more accurate word. They don't look like they are being paid or treated with much respect.
I walk towards the door that Shanna indicated. The Avox opens it, but when I thank her, she just looks down. Odd. Maybe they're forbidden to speak.
I walk into the room, and it is very similar to the room on the train. There is a very large, soft looking bed in the center of the room. To the left of the bed is a large closet which I'm sure is stocked with clothes for all occasions. There is a massive bathroom with a huge white marble tub and a shower with dials and more switches than I've ever seen in an entire house, let alone in a shower.
I sink down on the bed and gaze around the amazing room. It seems like such a waste, creating such lavish rooms for tributes to stay in right before they die. But, I have a chance. I might make it. That is, if the shock device clears inspection, and I have time to activate it before I'm killed. I know I have a better chance than most, but I'm still very, very scared.
After about half an hour, Shanna comes in and tells me it is time for dinner. I go out to the dining room with her, where there is an enormous amount of food. Sandwiched, roasts, soups, salads, you name it. I walk to a chair, and an Avox pulls it out for me. I sit down, and wait. Myron slouches into the room a minute later, and throws himself into a chair across from me. Shanna waltzes it, and sits down next to me. Kilee sits down next to Myron, who immediately slides his chair away. She rolls her eyes, and focuses on the food.
I put a slice of the roast beef, and chicken sandwich, and some salad on my plate. Then I dish some creamy soup (butternut squash?) into my bowl and begin to eat. The food is just as amazing as it is on the train. The beef is perfectly seasoned, and the sandwich has a salty sauce on it, which complements the sweet bread perfectly. The soup is creamy and is a perfect mix of sweet and tangy. The meal is delectable.
Shanna begins to speak, saying, "Tomorrow morning, you will meet your stylists, and they will fix you up and make you look amazing! Then, you have the tribute parade, and then training! Then you have your interview with Caesar. The day after that, you will have your time to impress the judges, and they will give you a score out of 12. And the day after that is the Games!"
She sounds so enthusiastic about children being sent to kill other children. I've never met anyone like her.
Myron says, "Well, that's just great! We have 4 days left to live! Yippee!"
Kilee snorts into her soup and Shanna gives her a dirty look.
"You don't know that. You very well may be the victor. You both seem like very intelligent children," Shanna says in a gentle voice.
"Does it bother you at all," Myron says with a sour look. "That every year you meet two kids, and then they are brutally slaughtered? Or do you just brush it off, since it's not you? How would you feel if it was your kids?"
He stops abruptly, and gets up. He storms off to his room and slams the door. Shanna sighs, and continues eating.
I get up and go to my room. I change into some pajamas that have been laid onto my bed, and fall asleep almost immediately. It's been a long day.