2009:III

October 31st,2009

Children giggled as they ran,tripping,skipping and stumbling over the parking lot trying to get to each car first for the maximum amount of candy. Jay and I stood by the fire engine,hands tucked deep into our jacket sleeves keeping the chill off our fingers. The city was hosting a trunk-or-treat for Halloween in the parking lot of the town hall,everyone was invited businesses handing out candy,policemen,and fireman and their engine.

They were still on duty but hadn't received any calls for the night yet,even a few volunteer firefighters including me and Jones,a fellow volunteer friend the only other woman fighter in the city,we got to hand out candy as well or even show them inside the apparatus. It was fun I loved working with the the kids but as always there was a sad-sweet pain they brought to me. I wondered if they brought that to Jay as well.

If they did he didn't show it,scooping them up and helping them into the front seat of the engine handing out stickers and fist bumping any kid that was dressed as either Captain America or a firefighter. One short mother with a pink nose and cheeks holding a rather fussy baby with a rather runny nose,approached us humbly.

The baby boy was dressed as a pumpkin in an orange and green onsie,green mittens and cap to match. His nose glistened beneath from the constant river of mucus that flowed freely and he was crying,little fists shut tight  like small acorns and eyes squeezed closed in frustration, little crescents of anger.

"I'm sorry,he's a mess." The mother apologized wrestling the rebellious baby boy. "Would you mind taking a picture with him?" The question was directed to Jay who smiled warmly despite the fitful bundle and nodded putting his arms out.

"Not a problem,hey little guy." He whispered taking him gently and bouncing him softly against his chest. Almost on contact the baby calmed a bit,little brown eyes emerging from  their slits transforming into two chocolate brown orbs looking up curiously. "Hey."

"He's likes you." He mother chuckled sounding relieved the crying session had ended.

"I like him too." Jay cooed wiping his finger across the baby's cheek softly cradling him as if the child were a snowflake and would melt at any moment.

"On three,one,two,three!" The mother called,snapping the photo with the flash and reclaiming the bundle as her own. "Thank you." He mumbled and hurried off,I heard the baby start crying again in the distance.

"You didn't tell me you were the baby whisperer." I teased sticking my tongue out at him and he shrugged.

"One of my many hidden talents." He smiled his boyish crooked grin like he did,especially when he was hiding something from me.

"Jay."

"What?"

"What are you not telling me?"

"Telling what?"

"There's something your hiding." I persisted and he shifted excitedly,he obviously wanted to tell me something,I've known him long enough to notice the signs however small they may be.

"I got a call."

"Okay?" I asked impatiently wondering what that meant and rubbing my ice hands together to create frictioned heat.

"The request we sent in for adoption was accepted they have a mother for us now." Jays response was cut short by a kid dressed as Chewbacca tapping his leg. I just stared at him with wide eyes unable to speak. After Jay handed the small wookie a generous amount of candy,he turned back to me,still staring in awe.

"Really?" I breathed still in almost disbelief at the call we had been waiting for,for months.

"Really." Grinning ear to ear, he hugged me in response to a full on tackle I opened to him with.