Chapter 5: Claire

CLAIRE TUCKED HER FEET IN CLOSER, desperately trying to warm her numb toes. Violent shivers coursed through her body, until a warm blanket of fuzz enveloped her, Will tossed a blanket on her.

"Geezuz Claire, if you are cold use a blanket, it's common sense," Will said shaking his head at her. Claire rolled her eyes and took the blanket, wrapping it around herself.

"Ya know, I am pretty sure backyard bonfires are technically illegal..." Ebony said poking the blazing fire with a small stick.

"Ah yes because we completely follow government protocol," Mom said, laughing.

Claire cleared her throat, "Excuse me, who had to work at the mill for a day because she almost touched the damn wall?"

Will waved her off, "Yeah, a day. And it was mandated by the governor, whom I believe you technically work for, so I'd be happy that's all you had to do." Claire groaned. She hadn't even begun her "work" for the governor, and she wasn't looking forward to it. Who knew what she had to do, probably recite history.

~

The next morning Claire sat Florence's rose pink couch cushions, her fingers tugging at her skirt to somehow make it better, but the strange scratchy feeling of the material wouldn't go away. She instead tried putting her hands on her hips, but that did not seem to make it feel any better. Hand against her brow, she could feel the sweat already beginning to bead. With one swipe of the hand she wiped it away, hoping Florence did not notice. The old woman looked up from her file cabinet, her eyes narrowing at Claire. Claire smiled, and Florence looked back towards the file. What was she even looking for? Florence shoved the cabinet closed, Claire coughed, trying to wave away the flying dust particles.

"I thought my power resonated with the tree..." Claire began to say but Florence waved her away, already knowing where she was going.

"Yeah, yeah. The tree holds all the actual history and all that, but that's not why you are here. you are here to tell the citizens what they want to hear."

Claire paused, contemplating what Florence said, "What... what do you mean? isn't my job-"

"Yes, yes your job is to keep our history safe, hold the responsibility to make sure we don't repeat our past. As you well know, 'those who repeat history-'"

"'Are condemned to repeat it' yeah I know," Claire said, already feeling bored. They were forced to repeat that saying every day in secondary school. But Claire never really got it, something about how if you forget your past mistakes you will make them again or something like that.

"Quit interrupting!" she scowled at Claire, making her shrink into the rose pink couch cushions. The large windows in Florence's house overlooked the bustling town square below. The tree's leaves rustled in the wind, a few fell from the tree and made their descent down to the ground.

"As I was saying. Your job is to stop history from repeating itself, that doesn't mean the people need to know that history. Who wants to hear stories about the mistakes of your leaders, it's in everyone's best interest for you to keep that stuff between you and our governor. You'll be telling them stories of heroes and great conquests, times when the cost of war was well spent."

"I'm lying to them?" Claire almost yelled, exasperated she stood up from her couch chair. Florence glanced up from her file searching, looking puzzled.

"Yes dear." Replied Florence, standing up from her cabinet. Claire's eyes were wild and confused, she wasn't sure of anything anymore. Had the past Keepers been lying to them this whole time? Was the truth that bad that it had to be hidden from the citizens? Was it now her job to lie? To lie to Will, Ebony, and Nan, and mom, and the thousands of other people within the city's walls?