Chapter 16

Elvis' idea about himself and Loretta performing together at a few locations was well received- not by the Colonel, mind you, but Elvis no longer put any stock in the Colonel's opinion. Loretta, her manager David What's-His-Name, her road manager, and a few Hillbrook associates were going to be coming over to Graceland to work out the details. The Colonel had refused to show, but Elvis was relieved more than anything else. His road manager, Joe, would be there along with his father. They would work something out among them, of that he was certain.

"Daddy!" A little voice chimed, small hands grasping at his shirt. "Daddy! Daddy!"

Elvis swept Lisa Marie up into his arms. "Yes?"

"Lookie what's coming. A tour bus. Out there."

Elvis frowned, for he hadn't noticed the premature arrival of Loretta's crew. He carried Lisa out to the front yard. It was winter still, and though Tennessee winters were mild, Lisa was shivering within seconds. She didn't seem to mind though, her excitement over the tour bus was the overwhelming emotion.

"I wanna go in," Lisa squealed. "Daddy, I wanna go in."

The doors to the tour bus were opened and several people milled out of it, including one Loretta Lynn.

"Hey." Loretta smiled at him the way she used to every morning while they filmed together. It was still too early for Elvis considering his usual schedule, but he couldn't say that it wasn't an improvement over six A.M.

"Well, how did you get in here?" Elvis joked, letting her embrace and kiss him.

"Your guys let me in," she said simply, then focused on Lisa. "Do you remember who I am?"

Lisa nodded. "Lowetta. Don't talk to Lowetta, Mommy said."

Elvis' face was glowing with anger and embarrassment. "You can talk to Loretta if you want. Daddy does too."

"Where is..." Loretta began, then trailed off.

Elvis, knowing exactly what she was talking about supplied, "Clothes shopping and to get her nails done. Lisa didn't wanna go so..."

"That's alright." Loretta proceeded to introduce him to her crew before offering a tour of her bus, an offer Lisa accepted before Elvis could even open his mouth.

"Don't touch anything," Elvis warned his daughter as he placed her on the ground, letting her walk ahead of them to explore the bus.

"What's there?" Lisa asked, pointing at a door.

"The shower," Loretta said, opening the door. Elvis held back laughter at the sight of several evening gowns hung in said shower.

"Oh wow," Lisa murmured in awe, tucking on the skirt of one. "Pwetty."

"Thank you," Loretta said, smiling down at the little girl. "Ain't they real nice?"

"Uh-huh."

Elvis picked up Lisa. "Wouldn't want her to tear it up like you did Maybelle's little dress."

Loretta sighed. "I'm not gonna live that down, am I?"

"No, ma'am." Elvis took a closer look at the gowns, trying to picture Loretta in one of them. "What happened to my picture of you in one of those?"

"Oh dagum," Loretta exclaimed, "I didn't-"

"Dagum!" Lisa chimed, under the impression that she had picked up an especially bad insult. "Dagum! Dagum!"

"I'll just take her inside," Elvis said to Loretta. "I'm gonna send one of the guys to let ya in."

"That's alright, honey. I'll see ya later. You too, Lisa."