Chapter 20

The weeks swept by and turned into months. It was hard to imagine that more than a year had already passed since he had been filming with Loretta. It felt so much more recent in his mind. Elvis sat back and watched the Mafia play pool, his hands propped up behind his head.

"He's losin'," Charlie informed him, pointing his pool stick toward Red.

"I don't care who is winnin' if it's not me," Elvis said.

Elvis' cousin Billy came bursting in, but hardly anyone in the room so much as turned toward him. "Hey E?"

Elvis' head twisted around. "Huh?"

"Phone call for you. It's Loretta Lynn."

Elvis expelled a sound of disbelief. "Loretta? She goes to bed early."

"What time is it?" Lamar asked.

"2 A.M, you sorry bastard," Elvis said. "Didn't I buy you a brand new watch?"

"It broke."

"How the hell did it break?" Elvis demanded. When Lamar didn't respond he waved a hand in his direction and followed Billy upstairs. He picked up the phone and asked, "This Loretta Lynn?"

"It sure is."

Elvis did recognize her voice right away but decided to have a little fun. "How can I be sure? Could be anyone. Cause the Loretta Lynn I know would be asleep right now."

"Well, you tell me how anyone is supposed to sleep when there's people screamin' in front of your hotel and you didn't get any rest on the bus."

"I'm still not sure if you're really Loretta Lynn. Think you can tell me somethin' that only Loretta would know?"

"When we filmed the last scene of the picture, we bumped our heads together."

"You bumped into me."

"That's your side of the story, honey."

Elvis laughed. "Okay, you're the real Loretta Lynn."

"We're nominated for a few awards cause of the picture."

It had been announced days if not weeks ago. The movie was nominated for a Golden Globe Award in four categories- Best Motion Picture, actor and actress in the drama category and best screenplay. They weren't going to win.

"That doesn't explain why you're calling me at 2 A.M," Elvis said.

"Cause you told me that you stay up late anyhow."

Another laugh escaped him. "Oh Loretta, you know what people think when a woman calls a man at that time of day?"

"Is that what your cousin is thinking?"

More laughter came in response to her shocked words. "My cousin don't think at all. How you been?"

"Tired."

"That comes with the territory," Elvis said. In a more gentle tone he added, "I'm tired all the time too."

"How is little Lisa Marie?"

"Doin' good. Gettin' big."

"That's what they do." The sadness in her voice was palpable.

"Cilla's gone." The words flew out of his mouth before he could stop himself.

Loretta's breathing filtered through the phone for moments on end. It seemed as if she was trying to figure out whether he was serious. "I don't know what to say other than that I'll be there for you if you need a friend."