Hachishakusama

Grandpa came back into the room and spoke to grandma.

"I've got to go out for a while," he said. "You stay here with the child. Don't take your eyes off him for a second."

"What's going on grandpa?" I cried

He looked at me with a sad expression in his eyes and said, "You've been liked by Hachishakusama."

With that, he hurried out, got into his truck and drove off

I turned to my grandma and cautiously asked,"Who is Hachishakusama?"

"Don't worry," she replied in a shaking voice. "Grandpa will do something. There's no need for you to worry."

As we sat nervously in he kitchen waiting for my grandpa to come back, she explained what was happening. She told me there was a dangerous thing that was haunting the area. The called it "Hachishakusama" because of its height. In Japanese, "Hachishakusama" means "eight feet tall".

It takes on the appearance of an extremely tall woman and it makes a sound like "Po... Po... Po..." in a deep, male voice. It appears slightly differently, depending on who sees it. Some say it looks like a haggard old woman in a kimono and others say its a girl in a white funeral shroud. One thing that never changes is the height and the sound it makes.

A long time ago, it was captured by monks and they managed to confine it in a ruined building on the outskirts of the village. They trapped it using 4 small religious  statues called "jizos" they placed at North, South, East, and West of the ruins and it wasn't supposed to be able to move from there. Somehow it managed to escape.

The last time it appeared was 15 years ago. My grandma said that anyone who saw Eight Feet Tall was destined to die within a few days. 

It sounded so crazy, I wasn't sure what to believe.