Chapter Two - Requiem for the Phantasma

It felt like only minutes that I was asleep by the time Meiko woke me up. She shook my body, a touch unfamiliar to me and I woke up with a shock, my body still drained from the fatigue that had captured it only the night before. Or that was what I thought. I looked outside the cave and noticed that there was still light outside. Even though I'd only been asleep for a little while, wouldn't the sun at least move a little in the sky? What really happened to this Earth?

"Here, you can borrow my clothes for the time being." Meiko spoke up, tossing me a pair of boots and a new outfit. It was a purple sweater with lighter violet hearts haphazardly place on it. There were also a pair of black yoga pants which were adjustable at the waist – for which I was glad. Meiko had a much curvier figure than I did.

"Where's Kaito?" I wondered. Upon looking around in the tight space of the red cave, Kaito was nowhere to be found.

"A Virus was spotted nearby, probably hunting our presences' down. He'll be done shortly, it didn't look like a very tough one." Meiko eyed me, then furrowed her brow, "Well, come on! Get changed! Kaito will be back any second and I doubt you want to get changed in front of him!"

I tilted my head to the side. I had no concept of such reasoning at the time, "Why?"

Meiko's face suggested I was ignorant, "Because he's a guy?" I didn't say anything after that and just did as I was told. I took off that dress that I was wearing just yesterday – the first article of clothing I can remember wearing. It was strange how I could remember what the Earth looked like and how the people looked back before I was asleep, but I couldn't remember anything about myself. After putting on Meiko's clothes, I tucked that white dress into the yoga pants so that it looked like I had a little scarf tied around my waist to remind myself of this time... in case I forgot something of my past again.

As soon as I was finished changing, Kaito came into the cave. He had a few scratches on his body here and there, but was otherwise fine. Though I had to notice that his outfit had changed from last night: He was wearing a white dress shirt that was under a navy harlequin vest that had a twin tail flap at the back. White pants with a single blue strip down the side were tucked into the black boots he wore. In his hands was a long spear, with two sharp edges coming out from the main point.

Upon setting his weapon down, his outfit changed once again. Enveloped in a magical light, his outfit switched from the one I was just seeing to the one from last night. The same thing happened to Meiko whenever she defeated that Virus to defend me. Who were these people? How could they do this? And why weren't they afraid of the Viruses?

"Ah, you're up." Kaito noticed as soon as his clothes had switched back to what they were last night, "Then if that's the case, come help us pack up this camp and we'll head over to see Takehiko." Without another word, all three of us packed up the camp, though I received a lot of help from Meiko and Kaito. I felt embarrassed for not knowing what I was doing, but I supposed not being able to remember anything of your past would make you forget other things.

While we worked, I felt like I should ask, "Can I know who Takehiko is before I meet him? Who is he to us?"

"Takehiko himself isn't much of a hotshot." Meiko spoke up first and continued even though Kaito had hissed her name at her in a warning manner, "He thinks himself some sort of 'Prince', but the only thing 'Princely' about him is the fact that his ancestors were the ones who created us." That last part certainly got to me.

"Created us? What do you mean?" I wondered.

"You sure have been in the dark." Kaito commented.