Chapter 3: Telling El

The day before Olivia was scheduled to go in for her 12 week ultrasound she decided she had to tell Elliot.

She wrung her hands and was pacing at the side of his desk at around 9 am when he walked in. “Hey Liv, how was your weekend?...hey, hey what’s wrong?” “Elliot I need to talk to you, in private”

He frowned and took her by the arm, “okay, sure. Cragen can we uh, use your office for a moment?”. “Sure, help yourselves, as long as those DD5’s make it onto my desk before lunch” Don replied.

Elliot crossed his arms, and stood leaning against the front of the cherry-wood desk. Olivia stayed by door and continued fiddling with the hem of her shirt and avoiding his gaze.

 “Elliot, I… I uh, know that I should have told you sooner but…” her voice wavered and she looked down again. The way one of her shirt buttons pulled the fabric across her stomach gave her the strength and courage to continue. s

She took a deep breath; “I’m pregnant Elliot” his expression remained unchanged for a moment “with your baby El”.

 His eyes moved from the floor until they burned a hole in her midsection. She could see him doing mental calculations in his head. “Twelve weeks, he murmured to himself. “How long have you known?”

 “About three weeks” she answered evenly. “Almost a month?” his voice rose now. “You have known about this for a month and you didn’t say anything? Let me believe everything was normal?” “Dammit Olivia you could have been hurt! You should’ve been on desk duty instead of out in the field.”

 “Which is exactly why I didn’t want to tell you! You’ll go all ‘Elliot Stabler’ and start ordering me around. You do NOT make the decisions in my life or for me.

“What, you think you can do this by yourself?” She recoiled slightly at his words and Elliot was already kicking himself for making a comment like that when she turned around with tears in her eyes and left.

“Liv,Olivia – wait!” He ran out of the office and found himself blocked by a pair of suspenders. “Cap, let me go, I have to go after her”.

But Donald Cragen didn’t move, the kindly lined face stared him down. “Elliot whatever you’ve done Olivia’s just left in tears. Olivia, Elliot. That’s not like her at all, I think you hurt her pretty badly and I’ve promised her that I wouldn’t let you follow her until she’s had some time to herself and for you to cool down.

 “But Captain –“

 Fin came over at that moment “Come on Stabler there’s a perp needs bustin’ in interrogation room 2”.

Elliot turned pleadingly to the captain once more but he just shook his head and said “Get going. You can leave at 6 today but that’s as far as I’ll take this”

“Damn Stabler, what crawled up your ass?” Fin nudged him as they walked towards interrogation. “Shove it Finn”. 

Four hours and one almost charge of police brutality went by before Elliot could finally leave. It was past seven o’clock by the time Elliot got to the crib. It had killed him the past couple of hours knowing she was so close to him but so far away from being in his arms where he wanted her.

 He knocked but no one answered. He knew she was there. He stood there for a moment. If she hadn’t been so upset with him he would have no qualms about using the key he owned. He respected her too much to use it against her.

 But damn it she was carrying his baby, she was upset and…dammit he didn’t need any more reason than that, he was going in.

 He slid the key into the brass lock and turned it too quickly. The door creaked in protest of the rough treatment.