Chapter 5: Overlooking the Beauty of Skye Summers

When I got to Empire, it was overly crowded. I wondered what was the special occasion until I reminded myself that Skye Summers was supposed to be here. I went inside to look for Becky to see what was going on, but she was nowhere to be found.

I got frustrated and moved through the crowd just to get a better view of what was happening up front, and when I got close, I seen Jamal, Lucious, and the pop-star Skye Summers, smiling widely at the cameras and the public. Wow, Skye did look better in person though, I hope I get to meet her.

I then turned my head to see Jamal and Lucious mumbling something while smiling falsely at the crowd, and giggled at their fake smiles. Then, the crowd had died down when Lucious came to speak up.

"Thank you so much for being here today. Today, my son Jamal Lyon hits into the studio to start recording on his next masterpiece. It's called the Black and White album. For the very first track, we have the incomparable Skye Summers in it.  Just a few questions, so.."

The crowd went crazy for questions to see what they could get. Lucious picks a woman out of the crowd,

"Brenda, you can start off first." He replied.

The reporter, Brenda, appeared from the crowd, "Uh, my questioned is for Ms. Summers. Skye, does this mean you'll be signing with Empire?" She questioned.

Skye didn't answer, and stepped aside to let her manager answer for her,

"We are so happy with our label, but we couldn't be more excited than to work with Jamal and the legendary Lucious Lyon. She went back and Lucious got back on the mic saying,

"What's going on with all this legendary stuff? You making me sound Neolithic or something," He says, "Trust me, I got a few decades left in me."

I rolled my eyes upwards, getting his joke.

"But for the record, Empire would be thrilled to have Skye Summers on its roster." He said proudly.

One of the reporters asked, "And Jamal, how excited are you to be working with a multi-platinum selling artist like Skye Summers?"

Jamal came to the mic, "Oh my goodness, how excited am I? I'm crazy excited." Jamal replied. I laughed at his so-called fangirling on his artist.

"Are you kidding me?" Skye asked, laughing.

"Skye, I don't want to embarrass you too much, but y'all, I'm sorry. I am the "Oh, gee, Skye Summers" fan." Jamal said honestly, "And--And her first CD was the very first CD I ever bought. You know, I scratched it up till it couldn't play anymore. And I love her. I'm in love with Skye Summers." He confirmed.

When he confirmed that, that broke my heart a little. It made me feel a little pang of jealousy that formed just now. I shouldn't be feeling jealous. After all, he is gay.

"Y'all could print that." Jamal joked. Everyone laughed at the comment. I gave a straight face at this and then remembered that I was looking for Becky. I moved away from the conversation and went to Becky's workplace. I found her talking on the phone with someone, "Hey, Becky." I interrupted. She looked up, "Oh, hey. There's some documents that need to be sent down to the meeting room and a couple of files you need to get for me." Becky informed.

I playfully groaned,

"Great, more work to do. Woohoo, I can't wait." I sarcastically replied.

Becky finished her phone call and turned to me when I sat at my desk that was placed yesterday.

"So, did you see Skye Summers?" She nicely asked. I started to finish my work papers that I didn't complete.

"Yeah, she's great. She's the center of attention, especially to Jamal." I mumbled the last one out.