Prologue: Moving to Cope.

Kelley and I had never really got on-- It beat me how we even got together. We were engaged. But then she had an affair. How many years for...? Three, was it? All that time I wasted staying in Detroit with her, while she was banging the man in the apartment downstairs. So I decided to move. Somewhere new, somewhere queer... And somewhere with cheap accommodation with a little class. What place fit? Gotham City.

I was  twenty-seven years old and had no wife, no kids, and no job. But I had a nice amount of cash in the bank, a nice apartment that had a great view of the city, and opportunities. But Gotham wasn't as pretty as it seemed. Well, the city itself was amazing... It was just... Just the people. The crimes they committed. Murders everyday that never seemed to be justified. Robberies and no one but the victim bats an eye.
I bought a new cellphone, changed my number, ditched Kelley's last name. She wanted me to have the Evereux name because I was nothing but a nobody when we got together. She was everything. But I didn't need her. The Sanos name meant something. Maybe not in Detroit, but in Gotham, it will. I'd make my name.
People can move on from the past, emotionally.
I thought, 'Why not move physically, too?'