Chapter 2 - You Look So Familiar

A/N: Taylor Kinney as Edward Cornerwall on the gallery :)

**********

"You look so familiar
Have we ever met before?"

-You Look So Familiar (Dean Martin)

**********

Someone knocked thrice on the door.

"Who is it?" Abigail asked.

"Doctor Sara Calloway," a lady answered.

Abigail opened the door. There was a tall, thin, white, brunette lady around her early 40s. She has a medium length wavy hair, pair of thin glasses, and she was also wearing a lab gown.

"Hi! How are you?" Abigail asked as she hugged Sara.

"Quite delighted to see you again!" Sara replied as she hugged back.

As they both let go, Abigail let Sara take a seat on the couch. They sat next to each other.

"It's the time of the year again," Sara informed her, and Abigail got pissed. "Research time again?"

Sara nodded. "Last quarter of controlled experiment."

"What experiment are we going to do now?" Abigail asked.

"We're now done with both guys and both girls," Sara recalled, "So it's now... a boy and a girl. Oh great, it's like watching Big Brother, you know, when a guy and a girl will 'fall in love' with each other?"

"That's so cliché in reality TV shows," Abigail gave her opinion.

"But yeah, we're not going to see if they're gonna fall in love with each other. You know our experiment has something to do with being self-made."

It looks like Abigail liked where this is going.

**********

After talking about their new experiment, Sara's phone vibrated. She checked her phone and looked at the message. "Damn, my husband texted me to go home. Children problems."

"Yeah, sure, go ahead," Abigail replied, concealing the sadness that she has been feeling.

Before Sara walked out the door, Ashley came out from the arch behind them. She also saw Sara near the door, so she greeted her. "'Sup, Sara? When's the next appointment?"

"Your sister will just tell it to you," Sara replied. Afterwards, she left.

Abigail sat on the couch once again, still feeling sad about what she heard from Sara. But this time, it is now obvious. Ashley sat next to her to comfort her.

"Still can't get over about the divorce?" Ashley asked as she rubbed her sister's back.

"Not really," Abigail clarified. "It's just that... what if the miscarriage didn't happen four years ago? Would I still be where I am right now-"

"Hey, stop whining about your past life," Ashley cut her sentence short. "At least you're free from his chains. Like I swear to your ex-husband's life, he's the worst, manipulative person I've ever met, you know that. Thank goodness he's in jail right now. And you're here, a psychologist at Brown."

Abigail smiled in relief. "Yeah, if I'm with him, I wouldn't be where I am right now."

"Well, great!" Ashley changed the topic. "Anyway, enough about your ex-husband. I also heard about your new research."

"Wait, you were eavesdropping the whole time?!" Abigail sounded quite upset.

Ashley shook her head. "While grabbing food in the kitchen, I heard your conversation about this research. I didn't really listen though. All I heard was until when you asked Sara what to do. And then I went upstairs. When I went down again, I was about to get food once again, but I heard Sara is leaving. End of story."