Chapter One

Merlin awoke and the first thing he remembered was the pain. He cried from the intensity of it. The bindings on his wrists were tight and cut into his pale skin. He could feel his body aching and bruised. It was dark and he couldn't see a thing because of the iron mask. His throat was too dry to do anything more than whimper. Yet he knew he was not alone in this place. He also knew he was naked. Some water splashed on him and he found that he was being washed. The mask was there so that he'd never be able to know who it was.

"What do you want..." Merlin croaked, whetting his lips with the dirty water.

No answer.

Rough hands did the same thing they did the last time he was there. They cleansed him, fingers deep in places they shouldn't be. As usual, he tried to fight weakly but the mask wouldn't let him use any magic or see very well. He was well and truly a prisoner in this dark place.

He didn't know how long he had been here but he'd counted the times this had happened, he counted and remembered. 128 times the water had sloshed on him. He didn't know how many days pass between the water and the food for he saw no sunshine.

His arms felt heavy as the chains are tightened again and he collapsed on the small pile of hay. He can feel his hair growing inside the mask and his face itched terribly.

He curled into himself and the chains scrape against the floor and shivers. His coughs are raspy and he knew his lungs have been damaged in this cold, dark cell. Other parts of him too, but he didn't want to think about that.

He clung to the memories to remind himself that he was still alive.

He remembered a brilliant golden head but he was starting to forget his voice. His smile, his laugh, and lived for Arthur if only to see that smile one more time. He tried once again to get a spell to work but the Iron Mask only tightened against his face so he stopped and writhed.

***

Arthur had known of Merlin's disappearance since a week after it had happened. They'd all believed he'd gone home for a visit but soon heard it was not the case. In spite of his father's bluster and condemnation of it, Arthur and the Knights went in search of Merlin and followed every lead. Gwaine and Lancelot searched other Kingdoms where they could not go. Arthur was bound and determined to find him.

Merlin wasn't just any servant to Arthur and all the Knights knew it. Arthur had been in love with Merlin since the day he'd met him and never had a chance to say so. Merlin was just a boy then and completely oblivious. Arthur had tried to make him jealous by showing interest in girls. Nothing had worked. Not a single reaction other than his usual bumbling ways. It was maddening and he all but gave up hope that his annoying manservant would ever return his desires. Now Merlin was 19 and had been missing for half a year. They were riding out to meet Gwaine who had a report.

Gwaine met him at the border, a grim look in his eyes. "I've got word of something. I'm not sure, Arthur... a feeling in my gut."

"You sure it's not a hangover?" Arthur and Gwaine had become rather friendly while they searched for Merlin together.

"No, but I've heard a story from a serving girl who lives at Wildarn Castle. You know the place by the sea? Well, it used to be abandoned but a warlord took control of it, a man named Sebastian. He's one of Cenred's mercenaries." Gwaine rubbed the back of his neck.

"Out with it." Arthur nearly shouted. He was sick with worry and he needed to know NOW.

"There's a story that once a month Sebastian shows off his prize." Gwaine grunted. "A present to him from King Cenred, a young man, no one knows his name or even what he looks like. They have put him in a mask an iron mask and enchanted it. It is said that the mask will not fall off and is cursed to say upon him to stop him from using magic."

"Can it be Merlin?" Arthur knew of the magic. Lancelot had been forced to tell him.

"I hope not Arthur, I really hope not but we must follow the lead." Gwaine grunted and looked away.

"What aren't you telling me?" Arthur's eyes were dangerous as he glared at Gwaine.

"The girl said Sebastian uses the prisoner." Gwaine cleared his throat nervously and sighed grimly. "I believe she said it was for some sort of perverse pleasure? I fear what we might find, Arthur."

The color drained from Arthur's face. "We must get to them." He took hold of one of his knights. "Send word back to Gaius. Research this Iron Mask. We ride for Wildarn Castle!"

It was a long shot and just another of the many rumors about Merlin. A lump stuck in Arthur's throat. What would they find there? Would Merlin be okay? Would he be broken? Would Arthur ever see those beautiful blue eyes again? He would kill every last one of them if the people in the Castle were holding Merlin.

And so they thundered across the land, the Knights of Camelot, the horses hoofs rough against the ground. Arthur was not going to leave any clue alone. He would find Merlin. He would find him and would shake him for being so careless to get himself captured and making Arthur suffer this terrible guilt. Had it been something he'd done? Had he somehow made Merlin vulnerable? They'd never received a single ransom note.

There was so much he wanted to say. As far as the magic bit, he ... he didn't know what to say about that yet and Lancelot had encouraged him not to tell Merlin he knew, that he should just let it come naturally.

Arthur spurred his horse faster. The castle by the sea was well guarded. They would have to come up with a plan.