Chapter Five

After Merlin had a whole bowl of soup and some mushy bread he wouldn't eat anymore and curled up in the covers and blankets. Arthur had been complaining the other day about how bare his quarters were and somehow that convinced everyone in the castle that Merlin's quarters were entirely unsuitable for recovery. Every so often someone would come down to see him and bring a pillow, an extra blanket, a basket with goodies. His room was getting rather more colorful by the minute.

After the last basket, Arthur had to start putting in the main room. "God, you have a harem, the castle maids used to swoon over ME." He complained as the seventh visitor was a trio of scullery maids from the kitchen who were entirely disappointed when Merlin didn't want to see anyone. It was Arthur who had to deal with the steady stream of visitors and well-wishers. Everyone wanted to know how Merlin was, it seemed and it surprised and touched Arthur that people cared about him so much. Just what had he done to warrant all that?

If you asked the castle staff... he takes care of Arthur and keeps him in a good mood ... that's what they'd say as they had been very used to his old self. Arthur had changed for the better ever since Merlin and they were very glad he was back.

Merlin gave a shrug, "I dunno about that. Honestly Arthur, I don't know where all of this is coming from!" He fingered the latest handmade scarf. "I'm not a charity case."

"You don't." Arthur laughed shortly. "Of course you don't. How are you feeling?"

Merlin had been sleeping most of the day, less fitfully as long as Arthur was within earshot and he had laughed when he heard about his visitors. "Better."

Arthur had brought a game of dice that they could play and a few books to read aloud while they waited for Gaius to return. He was trying to make sure that there wasn't a time when Merlin was alone with his thoughts. "Really?" He was unconvinced.

"Fine, every muscle still aches." Merlin said tersely.

The bandages on his hands were starting to look a little worn and Arthur gazed at them. He'd loved Merlin's fingers... so long and graceful. It killed him that someone had broken them and he'd read about the punctures. He didn't have any clue how to change bandages but he'd watched it happen and he felt he could if he needed to.

"Stop staring." Merlin snapped.

"I wasn't!"

"You were. My hands will heal, Arthur. As soon as I get this mask off, I have healing magic. Stop being so worried. I'll be fine." Merlin assured him.

"You can't USE it." Arthur shook his head, "Not while my father is alive, you know that. He'll find out!"

The realization dawned on Merlin and depression washed over him. If he had to heal like a normal person... recovery would take a lot longer than he wanted it to.

"Please tell me you won't." Arthur gazed at him, worried.

"I can't make that promise, Arthur." Merlin shook his head. "My magic may just kick in itself." He sighed. "I think I need some of that balm that Gaius used, my hands are itching again. It's probably with the stuff he left for you."

Arthur heaved an exasperated sigh. He had been trying to keep his distance ever since the afternoon and thankfully Merlin had finally put on pants. He found the bottle from Gaius' list and description and brought it over along with fresh bandages. "Got it."

"I can do it myself." Merlin shook his head when Arthur looked like he was going to help.

"Fine then" Arthur grunted and picked up an apple from one of Merlin's gift baskets. "Seriously you have more friends in Camelot that you know, Merlin."