Chapter One

Maelee shuts down her port screen and looks up at the ceiling of her bedroom.

"Ugh, why can't writing come easily?"

She opens it back up, and looks at what she has written down. She starts typing, but stops and rewords what she was trying to say. She keeps going and finally feels the flow of knowledge she can put inside her article. Maelee was a writer for the Lunar Times Web Blog (Also known as The LTWB), for a while all she really wrote was drama and gossip that spread through out the community. Maelee was a talented writer, but she put it to waste by writing crap about others when she knew she could write better and more credible articles.

Maelee lived in a small apartment like home and did her work at home. She didn't leave the house much, but she never needed to. She was used to being alone because she didn't had any siblings growing up and her parents didn't encouraged her to go outside to play with the neighborhood kids. So as Maelee grew up she became very independent and strong minded.

Maelee tosses her port screen onto her bed and walks into the kitchen to get a bite to eat. A ringing noise flooded the apartment and along came with vibrations. Maelee turned around and picked up her miniature port screen while pressing the accept button. A hologram of her bosses face glitched on, he looked in a good mood but tried to cover it up with a neutral smile.

"Good afternoon Greg," Maelee spoke while reaching for some food in a cupboard.

"Maelee, I have some great news. Do you know Jack Mckin?"

"Yeah, I've heard of him. Wait, this 'good news'.. Does it involve me?"

"Yes, but let me finish. So Jack was a political writer who was doing an article about Queen Levana's history-"

"You seriously gave him a job to write about her history? You know that's dangerous right?"

"Yes I do, and let me finish. So he went to the royal archives one day to gather information, but came back telling me he wants to be assigned to a different task or he would quit-"

"Figures"

"Maelee, do you know how to keep quiet while some one is telling you a story?"

"Apparently not.."

"I'm just going to go on, so I had to tell him I couldn't assign him a new article and that's when he quit his position. But this is where the good news comes in... I have decided that I am going to promote you to that particular article"

"What? No thank you. Am I allowed to decline this promotion?"

"Usually I give people a choice if they want to or not, but every one has turned it down so far. And you're my last shot"

"So really, I was the last one to be considered for this role?... Fine, I need the money for rent anyway"

"Good, I knew you wouldn't let me down"

"I couldn't really let you down since this was practically forced on me-"

"Good to hear. Good bye Maelee," Greg abruptly hangs up.

Maelee heads to her bedroom to grab her port screen. She turns it on and notices Greg has emailed her all the information that Jack had already gathered. She sits down at her desk and skims through most of it, Maelee already knew a lot of what he had in the file because most of it were the rumors that flew around the region. There was one article that stood out and it was about the dead princess, princess Selene. No one have ever mentioned about Selene for along time now. Even having the article downloaded onto her port screen was dangerous, but Maelee decided to keep going. As she kept reading she became hooked in, as if she needed to know more.

The new information had her head spinning, in the article it was discussing how there was evidence that she died but at the same time there were bits and pieces of a trail linked to princess Selene explaining how she could have possibly escaped Queen Levana's wrath. Which was extremely unlikely, but possible under the right circumstances.

Maelee gets to the third page in her article and her port screen turned black. She flips it around to see what happens, then bangs the side of it on the table to see if that worked. After doing a couple of maneuvers on the port screen to help it get back up an running she turns it back on and nothing happens. The black screen mocked Maelee and she groaned while flinging it hardly onto her bed.

"Why now? Why did it just now had to start glitching?" Maelee was irritated by the fact that she did not go into the mechanic early that week to fix the glitch. Instead when it first glitched she brushed it off thinking it was harmless and no big deal. Instead of staying harmless, the port screen got worse and started to randomly turn on and off.

Maelee grabbed her jacket, her port screen, and her small purse. She went to the mirror and fixed her long blue ombre colored hair into a messy side braid. As she stared at herself she was pretty content on how she looked. Maelee liked her true form and she rarely chose to use her glamour. She did know the risks that will mostly likely happen if she doesn't start using her glamour, but she didn't mind. Her parents thought otherwise though. They themselves never left the bedroom without there glamour and always tried to pressure Maelee into using hers. After awhile, whenever Maelee went to visit her parents she made sure she used her glamour. The critiquing and complaining her parents made eventually got on Maelee's nerves.

Maelee finishes up getting ready and heads out to go to the small market where she can find someone to fix her port screen. She walks down the small hallway between her apartment and the garage, as she enters in the garage she clicks her key a boop noise goes off. Maelee follows the noise that leads her to her classy hover car. She gets in and scans her wrist over the little scanner and the hover car roars to life.

A monotone robotic voice speaks above the engine, "Welcome Lady Shire, where do you plan on heading to today?"

"My destination is the nearest market place"

"We are now heading to the nearest market place"

"Thank you"

The hover drove her half way across town to a small market that was filled with many people. Once the hover parked, Maelee hoped out and charged straight into the crowd. She needed her port screen fixed, she felt like she had no time to read the article even though she had all the time in the world. Maelee walked around for some time often getting side tracked at all the little booths. She didn't go out much so it was interesting to look at some of the things that did not belong in her house hold. Awhile after she saw a booth filled with machines, port screens, and tools. She thought that had to be a mechanic booth.

"Hello?" Maelee looked around on the table and saw a rusty bell. She dinged it twice hoping some one could hear it and come out from the back. She waits a couple more minutes until a man came around from the back.

"May I help you?" The mechanic looked around twenty and had grease all over his hands and clothes.

"Yeah, my port screen has been glitching and I need it to turn on so I can go back to work," Maelee sets her port screen on the table and nudges it towards him.

"Okay, let me take a quick look" The mechanic picks it up and hovers a tool over it. The mechanic plugs the port screen into a hand held portable machine. He looks up at Maelee, "There that should do it, keep it plugged in for three days straight and it should be fine."

"Oh my stars! Thank you so much!" Maelee starts heading off to her hover car.

"Wait, lady?"

"Yes?" Maelee turns around facing the booth.

"I need you to scan your id chip so you can pay," The mechanic holds up a scanner.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry. How embarrassing," Maelee turns red while she quickly lifts her arm so he could scan her wrist.

He nods while thanking her and she walks off out of the crowd, towards her hover car.