Chapter 4

The tone of her voice was a little more apathetic than I expected it to be. There's your proof that you don't have a chance in having a 'friendship' with this girl. My subconscious snarled, giving me a punch in the gut. I felt the christmas lights inside of my head slowly fade away.

Oh, shut it, you-

"Sounds cool." Lillian snapped me out of my episode of phantom. I looked at her instantly. What? Did she think her whole hostile-attitude was cute and cool? I instantly felt my adrenaline getting ready to shoot out.

"Mitchell, you should ask your dad if you can come." Sam said distinctively, studying my face ordinarily. Come? "Go where?" I mumbled, feeling guilty for not paying attention to our conversation. Focus, Bennett, focus!

"My house." Sam said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Um-" My cheeks flushed.

"Are you guys going?" Lillian asked her cousins.

"Yes," Nixia answered for both her and her sister. Iris forced herself to smile sweetly, shooting a smooth glare at her. The same layer of wickedness as before loomed over her eyes in a flash, quickly disappearing.

"That sounds okay." Iris muttered, facing Sam and I.

"Alright . . . but, before we go; who wants tea?"

* * *

WE HAD JUST left Tis' The Tea with our stomachs full, being well-informed that the bathroom was going to be needed. Hopefully this wasn't going to have to make me take a piss every two minutes, I hated using other people's bathrooms. It didn't feel right.

Lillian had succeeded in giving a shot at squeezing some juice out of the grumpy lemon, Iris. She was finally beginning to sound slightly more enthusiastic than before. Her mask of antagonism was carefully being lifted. I instantly knew that Lillian would soon get the best out of her, sooner or later. But in this case, the term "later" was much more convincing. Lilly was always good at making people feel comfortable and confident. It would take a few days maybe, which depends on how good Iris' attitude would keep up with our drift.

Why the hell did I even care about her attitude? It wasn't important. We're not too sure about that, yet. I took a deep breath, raising my eyebrows in surprise at my subconscious' sudden aggression. Yawning, I checked the time on my cellphone. Jeez - it was already 9:20 pm. I have to go home soon. If Iris glared at me any longer, my insecurities will make the best of it and I will literally have to hide somewhere.

Miss Emerald Eyes was slowly peeling off my castles' layers every time she gave me an evil, yet innocent glance. We locked eyes every few minutes or so. It was starting to make me shift uncomfortably. We were all sitting in Sam's couch, locked in her room. Her moms were out, having dinner, or something like that.

I reached for Sam's small rubix cube, trying to somehow make the pointless puzzle better.

"I'm kind of nervous for tomorrow." Lillian broke the silence.

" 'Cause of your sixteen?"

Lillian nodded. "What if it's not all that great? Hopefully it's . . kind of cool. We're just a bunch of weirdoes, anyway. But, I guess it's what makes us a tripod."

"Tripod?" Sam sneered. "Oh, my god." She muttered under her breath, smiling to herself as if what Lillian said was pathetically unbelievable. "That's some way to put it," I muttered, keeping my eyes casted towards the small cube. I continued to fiddle with it even though I felt both of their gazes on me.

"Perhaps, we can be a pentagon instead of a tripod." Nixia said spiritedly, giving us big doe-like eyes. She gave Iris an innocent smile that looked good enough to encourage somebody to stop war. Sam spit out a giggle, clearly enjoying Nixia's naive suggestion. Iris hid behind her hands, showing only a fraction of her flushed cheeks.