•one•

Haley

The pain of loving and not being loved is excruciating.

You're calmed by their presence, their voice is the sound of an angel to your ears, and your heart flutters each time they smile, or even just by the mention of their name.

But then you're heart has set itself up to be shattered to bits and pieces that you won't be able to put back together...Because you know even though they're your source of joy, you'll never be the reason for the happiness they have.

Do you know what that's like?

Do you know what it's like to be that person, and to have that person who stirs those emotions inside you?

I do.

That's the worst thing about unrequited love, when you can actually feel yourself falling in love with them, but you know deep inside that it'll never happen.

This is a story of me and him. It's not perfect, not nearly....Fairy tale endings, I've learned, aren't made for everyone.

But who knows, maybe things will turn around, and maybe things won't be the way I pictured them.

Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up, only for them to be crushed.

~

My pencil lifts from the paper of my new notebook.

My eyes come up from the page to look at the sky, with its color a vibrant tangerine blended into a baby blue as the sun shows itself from behind the horizon. The wind blows and I brush my hair out of my face.

I look back down at my notebook, reading over what I have written already, then thinking about what to write next.

"That's really good," a deep voice says suddenly.

My body jolts and my head snaps to my left.

A boy with blonde-brown hair in black jeans and who looks about 19, is sitting next to me with his knees against his chest. I examine the stranger closer, noticing he has a black lip ring, is wearing a Nirvana shirt and , admittedly, has beautiful blue eyes. He's sitting very close to me, leaning over to look at the pages of my notebook.

"Kind of sad though." He comments, lifting his gaze from the page to look at me.

My hands slowly shut my book, my mouth unable to form any words, less due to the fact I'm startled and more due to the fact that he isn't unattractive.

Actually... he is very not unattractive...Okay he's hot.

The boy smiles and laughs , looking out at the sunrise. He winces, "Scared ya' huh?"

I giggle softly, embarrassed. "A little... yeah." I reply. I hear an accent in his voice, and to keep the conversation going, I blurt out, "You're Australian?"

He looks back at me with an amused smile and sarcastically answers,"Way to solve the mystery Sherlock."

I let out the breath I've been holding and laugh, and he laughs along with me.

Then, with hesitation, I can't help but ask, "Do...do I know you?"

The boy lets out a laugh. "No, but I wish."

"Sorry," I apologize, brushing my brown hair behind my ear, somehow feeling bad for not knowing him. But I couldn't control that.

"It's fine," The boy replies. "I'm not from around here...But at least we know each other now, sort of."

A bashful smile appears on my face, and I look away, wondering to myself who this extremely kind and charming boy is.

"Nice view up here." The boy comments, looking at sky.

I look into the distance with him. "Yeah," I answer. "It is. I come here whenever I want to be alone. It's a nice place to think, write, whatever I need."

The boy sighs. "Wish I had a place like this." He says. "I usually can't go anywhere and have it be this calm and quiet."

I nod, but then we just sit in silence on the hill, my hill, that overlooks the park and the river.

I watch people run down the bike path next to the waters edge, and an elderly couple sits on a bench under a tree, holding hands. I hear a dog barking, and birds chirping, and I feel the breeze against my face as it brushes also against the leaves of the trees. My eyes see the sun rising fully over the horizon, washing over me.

These are just some of the reasons I love it up here. It's all so calming; watching time go by and people living their lives...And when I'm here, I don't have to worry about mine.

"So, I guess I'll leave you alone to your thoughts or whatever then." The boy tells me, breaking me out of my trance.

My head turns to look at him as he stands up, brushing grass off his black jeans with his hands.

"Okay," I answer, a small smile on my face.

He looks down at me, smiling, and then he turns silently to walk away.

I watch him as his feet take him farther away, and I can't help but wonder what brought him to me. Suddenly, he stops in his tracks and turns around.

"So, you really don't know who I am?" He shouts to me, as if I'm the first person who doesn't.

I shake my head. "No!" I shout back.

"What's your name again?" The boy shouts again.

"Haley...who are you?"

"I'm Luke Hemmings." He replies, smirking at me. "Hope I'll see ya around, Haley."

-end of chapter one-

Thanks for reading guys!!

x-Hrhemmings

QUESTION: WHO'S EXCITED FOR SOUNDS LIVE FEELS LIVE? COMMENT IF YOU'RE GOING:))