Chapter 2

Eren POV

I'm back at the starting point. Right now, I'm practicing playing my piano while Jean is out, but of course, I get distracted by a phone call from Armin.

"Eren! I forgot to tell you that there's a science exam tomorrow, you have to study!" Now he tells me?

"Ah, but of course, I get told at the last minute, when I'm busy. Perfect timing, mate." I could sense his eyes rolling through the phone.

"Sorry dude, I really forgot. I'll get you lunch tomorrow, alright?"

I probably won't be hungry tomorrow. I'm sure he won't mind if I say no.

"Nah dude, I'm fine. Get yourself an extra cookie or some shit."

"Eren, I think you should get some extra food. You've lost so much  weight  in the past month..." I could hear the worry in his voice, but I pretend I don't notice. Like always.

"Nope, I'll be totally fine. I gotta go, see ya."
I hung up before he could reply. I hate doing that to him. We both know I'm not okay, yet I refuse help from him.

-----

When Jean returned, I reluctantly tiptoed down the stairs to meet him. He hates when I ignore him.

"Welcome back Jean, do you need anything?"

He kisses me on the forehead and asks, "I heard you've got an exam tomorrow, I need you to study for now."

This is the Jean I love. He cares about me and wants me to be successful.

"Of course." I smiled at him before returning to my room.

-----

The next day we walked to school together with our hands joined. We don't have classes with each other, but at least we go to the same school.

I try to do well in school to get praise from Jean. If it makes him happy, it makes me happy.

"Don't be late and make dinner today."

Man, he can be really demanding sometimes. That annoys me.

-----

When I finally reached my class, the teacher asks us to sit down and be patient. Be patient for what?

I quietly walk over to my seat and quickly sit down before I get shouted at.

When everyone settled, the teacher came back with someone walking behind him. Probably a new kid, we get a handful of those.

"Please give this student a warm welcome, don't be mean and show him around. Eren, you're responsible for him since you never do anything useful in here."

What a nice way to put it. Mr Smith sure doesn't sugarcoat anything.

I glanced over to the new kid. He had neat black hair with a military style undercut, sharp features and steel grey eyes. As my eyes traveled downward, I noticed his band tee and black skinny jeans. He also had many piercings . Typical punk. But saying he was intimidating was an understatement.

"You know, if you take a photo, it will last longer."

Fuck. He had a deep voice for someone this short. Not to mention his sexy Russian accent. I didn't know what to say, so I just replied with 'sorry.'

"Jaeger, I hope you can take care of him for a while. Levi is quite the troublemaker, and you're a good student, so this should work out."
That asshole is making it sound so easy. It's like trying to train a tiger.

As I was about to say something, Levi leaned in and said, "good luck."

Huh? What does he mean?

"What d-" Before I could finish what I was trying to say, Mr Smith rudely interrupted me.
"Anyway, back to the science exam..."