CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - all your (null) are waiting

Drake didn't go outside during recess. He stayed in the classroom, fiddling with paper and calling it drawing.

"You've got to go outside," Ms. Richards said absentmindedly, typing up an email on her computer. "What's wrong?"

"I don't feel well," Drake said.

"Do you need to go to the Nurse?" Ms. Richards asked. The mouse clicked.

The door opened. Freckles and nothing but a false gold-tinted smile. "There you are, Drake! Why are you in here? Come on. Outside! All your friends are waiting!"

Drake ripped off the corner of his paper.

"Cody," Tommy yelled.

Cody came and stood with Tommy at the door. Drake ripped more paper. Curtains, they were. Or the tassels at the end of a scarf.

"Cody, open the door again," Tommy whispered. Cody stepped back and did so.

"Cody, close the door," Tommy whispered. Cody did.

"Cody, smile for Drake," Tommy whispered. Cody grinned, teeth gleaming but eyes dull. Drake stared at him smile until it had delved into a cozy little spot in the corner of his mind.

"Ms. Richards?" Drake asked, raising his voice. She looked around. "Yes, I would like to go to the Nurse."

"Very well," Ms. Richards quacked. "Come, Drake. I'll take you. Tommy, Cody – you boys go back outside."