Misfortunes

Third Person POV

A balding man in a brown overcoat stood before the cold metal gates of the Sohma estate, a place that he hadn't seen for more than fifteen years. After his daughter and son had been born, he had chosen to resign from his post (a feat that was easier said than done) to have time to raise his children.

And now that he was called back, he didn't know what to think of it.

Akira-sama had passed away in the time he had been gone, leaving nothing but a gray headstone in a grassy corner of the estate. And in his place was his heir, ten-year-old Akito Sohma, who had told him that he required his assistance, and that his daughter was in the family's custody.

His daughter. He shuddered, chills running up and down his spine. How long had it been since he left? Five or six years?

His ex-wife and her new family were constantly moving around the country, so whenever he managed to get ahold of their new address and contact them, his letters were always returned. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't quash the memory of her, couldn't stop missing her. He missed the feeling of his calloused fingers threading through her silky black hair, missed the thrill of playing chess with her on those cold winter nights, missed hearing her bubbly laugh.

The thought of his former employers doing anything to her terrified him. And so, almost reflexively, he had taken two weeks off from work and traveled to the Sohma estate with nothing else in mind.

The gates swung open, welcoming him inside. He clenched his jaw and gingerly stepped inside, his dark eyes surveying the all-too-familiar courtyard. It had been fifteen years, yet nothing had changed; entering almost gave the illusion of stepping back in time, of leaving reality for an imaginary fantasy land.

If only it were that pleasant.

An attendant wearing a blue kimono approached him. "Katashi Fujikawa, I presume?"

He nodded stiffly. The woman bowed to him, gesturing with a frail arm to the stone path that cut straight through the traditionally-styled buildings. "This way, Fujikawa-san." Leading him through the labyrinthine pathways, he soon found himself in front of the grand house where the head of the family always resided. Inhaling deeply, he wet his chapped lips and ascended the stairs, listening to the wooden floorboards creaking under his feet.

Katashi knocked on the screen door, a tinny voice soon calling out, "Come in!"

He slid it open, pushing past the beaded curtain. A young child sat on the mats, surrounded by a semi-circle dimly-lit candles. He was scarily frail, dark circles ringing his onyx eyes that shined with a devious glint Katashi had never seen in someone so young. 

"What have you done with my daughter?" Katashi croaked.

"My, my, so hasty. I would have expected at least a proper introduction." Akito clucked his tongue, folding his hands in his lap. "I am your former master's son, after all. How have you been, Fujikawa-san?"

"You didn't answer the question," he repeated, hands clenching into fists.

Akito grinned impishly, waving a dismissive hand. "Worry not, my good man. I've done nothing to your little girl. I may have stretched the truth a teensy bit in that regard. She's not exactly in my custody, but living with three of my dearest cousins. You remember Hatori, Shigure, and Ayame, don't you?"

Katashi gaped at him. "You sent them to a normal high school?"

"It is only an experiment," Akito said airily. "I only wanted to test their loyalty to me and teach them that the outside world isn't as wonderful as they believe. But, alas, my little kits are acting out, as teenagers often do. What was I to do when they deliberately disobeyed my orders, befriended your beloved daughter, and even had the audacity to bring her to live in our estate? I knew that it was the perfect opportunity."