Protests

Sukochi's POV

"Summer vacation, summer vacation, no more school until next semester," Shigure chanted, unceremoniously dumping a stack of books into his unzipped backpack. "Summer vacation, summer vacation, girls in two piece-"

"If you're trying to catch me in a good mood so you can force me to go swimsuit-shopping with you, well...fat chance," I countered.

"Ah, you read my mind!" he cried out, draping himself theatrically over his desk. "Come on, Fujikawa-chan. At least allow me the luxury of fantasizing of such things- it'll help me get the creative juices flowing for when I write my best-selling novel!"

"Sometimes, I wonder how you're so damn confident," I grumbled, barely murmuring a farewell to our preoccupied teacher, who was sitting at her desk and looked as if she wanted nothing more than for the earth to swallow her whole.

"I guess you could say it runs in the family." He bobbed his head up and down, swerving to avoid a squealing first-year. "You could write one too, you know. I'm fully willing to be your editor, and hey, I'll even give you a ten percent discount!"

"I don't know- realistic fiction isn't really my thing," I said absentmindedly, joining the fervent rush of students pouring out of the building.

And then, just like that, we were outside, basking in the searing heat of the late afternoon sun and the glow of sheer freedom.

We were stuck in the depths of the hazily hot July, the relentless heat only worsened by our school administration's stubborn refusal to install a suitable air conditioning system. Despite many protesters, myself included, we were forced to resign ourselves to our fate, carrying around jugs of water and paper fans to keep from collapsing of heat stroke. It seemed hotter than ever this year, and I was very much looking forward to a summer of doing absolutely nothing.

Hatori and Ayame were already waiting for us there, leaning against the entrance gate and beckoning us over. I waved back, breaking into a sprint and pushing aside the rest of the crowd with unnatural gusto in my rush to join them. Shigure laughed, quickening his pace to keep up with me. "You're in an unusually good mood today."

"Whatever do you mean? I'm always in a good mood," I said airily, just stopping in front of Hatori and Ayame, grinning broadly as I brushed my bangs away from my sweaty forehead. "Hey, losers. You know what time it is?"

"Summertime!" Shigure and Ayame chorused, bursting into a fit of giggles.

"I hope that this isn't an excuse not to do your summer homework," Hatori said in his usual clipped voice, clearly suppressing a smile.

"Oh, come on, Ha'ri!" Shigure whined, pawing at his shoulder. "You're even less fun than Fujikawa-chan is!"

"What was that?" I lifted my fist.

"Just kidding!" he laughed, and his eyes suddenly lit up. "Hey...just to celebrate the end of the semester...why don't we go out and have some fun?"

"If this plan includes buying me a ramune, I'm in!" I impatiently tugged at Shigure's hand and yanked him forwards. When they didn't follow us, I turned around, frowning at them. "Is something wrong?"

"Nothing." Ayame held back a snicker, glancing knowingly at Hatori, who rolled his eyes. "Onward, my fellow adventurers! To infinity and beyond!"

"That's the spirit!" I chirped, still clinging to Shigure as I tugged him down the street, almost oblivious to the odd looks I received from passerby.

Nothing was going to ruin my perfectest of perfect summers.

Or so I'd thought.