Prologue

"No!" Jennifer yelled angrily at Eddie, her olive arms crossed over her chest and her back pressed against an old lamp post. "You can't change! Don't do it, Eddie!"

Eddie sighed and stared at her with a hurt expression. "It's for the best," he explained. "My dad said that he went through a total change when he was young, and he's making me do it, too."

Jennifer shook her head, her heart shattering into pieces,"I just don't get it. How can doctors change the entire way you look drastically? What kind of messing around with genetics are they doing?"

"Don't look at me," Eddie said defensively, his hands in the air.

Jennifer kept rambling on. "It doesn't seem real! I've never heard of changing the entire way you look physically - is it even possible??"

"Yes, Jenny. I'm sorry, but it has to be done," replied Eddie gently. He took out a folded photograph from his pocket and handed it to Jennifer. "Here. Now you can keep me -- the original me -- right in your pocket to remember how I used to be."

Jennifer smiled sadly, accepting the bent picture and unfolded it to reveal a picture of Eddie. She could see his terribly short brown hair; chocolate eyes; his tan, freckle-less skin; and his wonderful, wide smile that only occurred when he was his happiest. A single tear ran down her cheek.

"Hey," Eddie whispered, "Don't cry, Jenny. I'll be back in five months, maximum."

"And you'll remember me?"

Eddie laughed, a warm, wonderful laugh, the kind that would make others want to smile and laugh, too. It was one of Jennifer's favorite characteristics about him, and she worried that it wouldn't be the same after he changed. But despite her worries, Jennifer found herself smiling right along with Eddie.

"Oh, Jenny," Eddie said softly. "How could I not remember my best friend?"

"Kiss?" she asked, pulling out a Hershey chocolate treat. Eddie did the same and they exchanged their Hershey kisses.

After Eddie ate his chocolate, he glanced at his watch and his smile melted away. "I've got to go. Goodbye hug?"

Jennifer nodded and embraced him quickly before dashing away from sixth street.