2. Tour Time

“An American Tour with The Maine! Ha! Think about it, Josh; the girls, screaming fans, girls…”, John said excitedly. Brian was on the phone, sorting things out. Stephen was amused with the news, but Jess ended up confused.

“The Maine,” she said. “They Sound familiar. Do you know them?” she asked Stephen as they both sat on the couch.

“Yeah, they’re friends of ours. They’re really good and they’re awesome guys. You’ll love ‘em,” he assured her. Brian got off the phone and turned to the band.

“The guys are coming so we can talk about the details,” he said to them. With all the positive energy, Jess couldn’t wait to meet The Maine.

                The guys from The Maine arrived after a few minutes. The whole band stood up to meet them. Stephen noticed the confusion on Jess’ face, so he introduced the guys to her.

“Jess, these are Kennedy, Pat, Jared, Garrett and John o’,” he pointed at each of the guys. Jess shook each of their hands & stopped at the sight of John O’.

“Hey Jess,” John winked at her. Jess suddenly remembered.

“John O’ Callaghan, from elementary school?!” Jess exclaimed. John smirked.

“Yep, nice to see you again, Jeff,” he said as they hugged each other.

The rest of the guys, especially Stephen, were awkwardly looking at them, looking confused.

“Wait, you guys know each other?” He asked.

“Yeah, we were so close back then!” Jess answered happily

“You looked a lot different back then, though,” John pinched her cheeks slightly, the way he used to when they were kids.

“You too, John, I mean, look at you!” she said, giving him a bro fist.

Garrett smirked. “I gotta feeling this tour’s gonna be interesting,” he muttered to pat and every one of them grinned, except for Stephen, who was practically emotionless.

They talked about every detail of the tour. They were going to five big cities. They hired an awesome tour bus and everything.

After they’ve finished talking, they all said goodbye, except for Jess and John O’, who hugged and laughed. When the guys from The Maine left, everyone was looking at Jess.

“Someone feels really giggly today,” Josh teased, but Stephen laughed a bit too nervously.

~

“So what’s up with you and John o’?” Stephen casually asked Jess on the phone that night. They usually do this whenever both of them couldn’t sleep. Stephen heard Jess laugh, that sweet laugh he always wanted to hear.

“It’s good to see him again, I’ve missed our tricks and jokes and all…” she kept chatting, but Stephen’s mind trailed off.

Missed him?! She barely mentioned him! What if she likes John?! And he knows her nickname! WTF I thought I was the only one who called her by nickname! I like John, but he’s not right for Jess, I’m right for Jess! I’m-

“Stephen, are you still there?” Jess called out from the other line.

Stephen shook his head & returned to reality.

“Yeah, jeff, I’m tired now,” he faked a yawn.

“Oh, uhm, okay, no worries,” Jess said, feeling a bit disappointed.

Stephen knew what went on her mind and smiled. He sang the soft lullaby he’d usually sing to her to make her feel sleepy.

…Spinning on that dizzy edge,

I kissed her face, I kissed her neck

Dreamed of all the different ways

I had to make her glow…

He sang until he heard those soft purrs Jess makes when she’s sleeping. Before he disconnected the call, he sang, ever so softly, his favorite verse from the song.

…Why are you so far away?

She said, won’t you ever know

That I’m in love with you

He sighed and cut the line. He thought of Jess once ore and drifted off.