8. In Wine, there Is Truth

8.  (Stephen)

                I woke up in the middle of the night as we continued with the tour. I went in the lounge and found Jess sitting alone, drinking.

                “Jess?!” I called out, and approached her.

                “Hey,” she said, a glass and a bottle of Jack Daniels stood on top of the table.

                “What are you doing?!”

                “What does it look like I’m doing, Steph? I’m drinking, duh!”

                “But why?  Didn’t you have enough last night?”

                She just smiled. Yup, she’s drunk.

                “C’mon, let’s get you to bed,” I sighed as I reached out to take the glass from her, but she refused.

                “No, Stephen,”

                “Why not?”

                “I don’t want to,”

                “Jess you’re being silly,”

                “No I’m not, Steph, I’m just fat and ugly and boyish! No guy in his right mind would ever fall for a girl like me!” She said, tears started rolling down her face.

                “Jess, you know that’s not true,”

                “Yeah? Easy for you to say, you’ve been saying that ever since we became friends!”

                “But I mean it.”

                “No you don’t,” She started sobbing, covering her face. Seeing her act like this is beyond painful. I sat beside her and just held her. I held her frail self, trying to comfort her.

                “You’re beautiful, Jess and you know it. You’re unique and hardcore, unlike any girl I’ve met. Why are you doing this to yourself?” I gently asked her, stroking her soft hair as she sobbed on my chest.

                “I’ve never had a boyfriend, I’ve never had any guy go after me, and I’ll never get to experience the love, the way Garrett loves Alahna,” she cried.

                If only you knew, jess.

                “Thanks,” she finally said as she stayed quiet. I remained silent, still keeping her close to me.

                “Stephen?” she asked.

                “Yeah?” I gently said.

                “Stay with me…” She pleaded lightly, like a little broken girl. I nodded as I slowly reached for the blanket on the edge of the sofa and laid it on top of both of us.

                “I love you, steph,” she sleepily said.

                “You’re drunk, Jess,” I pointed out.

                “But still…” She yawned lightly. “I love you,” she whispered, then drifted off.

We stayed that way, I just held her. She Held on to me. Nothing seemed to matter anymore.  Jess needed me, and that’s where I’ll be, right by her side, even if it takes the whole night.

                She loves me.

                But she’s drunk.

                ‘In wine, there is truth’, they say.

                She might not mean it.

                But still.

                Don’t make assumptions, Stephen, you’ll end up hurt.

                She loves me.