Maddie

"The sins of my father weigh down on my soul."

In honesty I don't remember a lot about that day. It was a blur of movement and excitement and summer heat. Monique had gotten it into her head that this summer was one we would all remember.

The summer before senior year.

The summer before life became real.

I run my hands down the black fabric of the dress that clung to me like a second skin. I frown at my reflection. My side swept blonde hair is the only thing I like about my look. Carrie hits my hand with a scowl.

"Stop. Your going to wrinkle it."

"And frowning causes wrinkles." Monique adds from her position on my bed.

"Its too tight." I complain tugging down the material. "And short."

Carrie rolls her blue eyes as she moves away from me and towards Monique. Monique stands up with a look of determination. This wouldn't be good for me. "What are you trying to imply Maddie?"

"It's gorgeous on you Mo but I look like a tramp."

Carrie snorts. "You're wearing it with much more decency than Monique has."

Monique shoots a dark look at Carrie who blows a kiss in return. I couldn't even laugh I was so uncomfortable. Monique places her hands on my shoulders. Our eyes meeting in the reflection of the mirror. Her brown hair tickles my bare shoulders. "You look gorgeous Maddie and I thought you wanted to let loose this summer."

"Clearly Monique thinks letting loose means hooking up with every available guy." Carrie says but looks me over none the less "But she's right you look stunning and its about time you showcased your curves."

I smile. "I hate you."

She smiles. "Love you too bitch."

Monique claps her hands excitedly. "Yay! Now that Maddie's minnie melt down is over let's blow this popsicle."

Carrie shoots her a disgusted look. "There will be no blowing of any popsicles tonight. Thank you very much."

Monique walks over and hits her arm. "Oh shut up you prude."

Carrie flips her braids over her shoulder. "That's not what Marcus thought last night."

I roll my eyes and grab my purse before walking out my bedroom door knowing they would follow. I didn't care to hear them swapping their sexual experience stories. If anything we all knew who the real prude was. My Aunt Karin is baking something in the kitchen when we pass her. She wolf whistles when she sees me and I blush in embarrassment.

"It's not too short?" I am still worrying.

She grins at me beneath her baking flour covered face. "No Maddie you look absolutely stunning."

Monique stabs me in the ribs and I know what she is implying already. I can practically feel the I told you so streaming from her thoughts to mine. I smile and walk over placing a kiss on her forehead, the only part that survived the baking episode, before calling a goodbye over my shoulder.

Monique's red convertible is waiting when we walk out of my house. Just as we are heading towards it Nick rounds the corner. He grins stopping in front of me with his charming smile. I try not to stare at the rippling muscles and the sweat rolling down them. It's kind of hard not to notice though. "Hey Maddie."

I smile blushing slightly at his nakedness. "Hey Nick." His eyes swing down my profile and his grin stretches as he whistles. "Hot damn baby girl. Look at you."