Chapter 14: Initiation

CHAPTER 14

Redflower

It was as the sun rose above the horizon that Rabbitleap had set off with Frecklewish, destined for the Moonpool. The pale brown tom had departed to receive his nine lives from StarClan, by the time he returned this evening, he would no longer carry the name Rabbitleap, but Rabbitstar.

Redflower still couldn't quite believe that Leafstar was dead. The burial for the leader had been held earlier that day and almost the whole clan had attended to part ways with the she-cat who had served as leader for so many moons. Leafstar had been the first leader of modern SkyClan and had led the clan through many hard times, including the battle against the rats and the journey to the lake. It was with sorrow that Redflower had watched the brown-and-cream tabby laid to rest in the ground. Yet, there was also the excitement of a new leader, Rabbitleap, and a new deputy, who Rabbitleap would name when he returned to the red-stone gorge.

Redflower had been lucky in the previous day's battle, escaping almost unharmed, mostly thanks to Dewclaw. Not all of her clanmates had been so fortunate. The young apprentice, Aspenpaw, had received some nasty injuries and was now resting under Brackenpaw and Frecklewish's care. Sandypelt and Shadewillow had also suffered some very severe injuries, but Frecklewish seemed pretty confident they would recover. It was Waspwhisker, however, who was in the most critical condition and the medicine cat was very concerned that he might not heal. He certainly wasn't the youngest of cats, so healing would take much longer for him.

Redflower had at last began to tell her clanmates about the kits she was carrying, starting with her mother, Cherrytail, who she'd spoken to just this morning. She'd also told Robinsong and Flintclaw, her older siblings, who'd both been happy for her. However, there was still one cat she hadn't told. Whitefern.

The white she-cat wasn't the most approachable of cats as she could have a rather sharp-tongue, but it was even harder for Redflower, as her sister kept trying to avoid her lately. The dappled tortoiseshell-and-white warrior still didn't know why. She had no idea how her sister would take the news, she just hoped she wouldn't ask any questions about the father.

Whitefern had headed out hunting earlier that day, so Redflower was waiting in camp, expectant of her return. As soon as she did show up, Redflower would try and talk to her, before she ran off.

Thankfully, it didn't take long for her sister to arrive, though, much to Redflower's surprise, she only carried two small mice in her jaws. That was unlike Whitefern, she was an excellent hunter and often brought back more prey, especially now that green-leaf had at last arrived.

Without so much as a glance upwards, the white warrior travelled across the clearing and dropped her prey carefully on the fresh-kill pile before at last lifting her gaze, green eyes narrowed.

The dappled tortoiseshell-and-white she-cat took a deep breath before padding across to her sister, "Whitefern," she called softly, smiling.

The white she-cat's breath hitched when she spotted her sister, "Look, I can't talk right now," she began to walk away, but Redflower blocked her path.

"Please," her green gaze was begging, "Whitefern, I don't know why you keep avoiding me, I don't know why you've been acting so strangely, but I promise, I won't ask if you just hear me out."

Whitefern hesitated, before sighing, "Fine, fine," she didn't meet Redflower's gaze, "But it can't be long, I was going to go on a hunting patrol soon."

But you just went hunting? Redflower was about to ask, but she clamped her jaws shut, shaking her head. She took a deep breath, "I meant to tell you before but... I'm expecting kits."