Prologue

PROLOGUE:

“Alexander!” I screamed as the fire filled the room and the smoke consumed my lungs. The heat and the smoke made my eyes water and my throat burn. I knew he was in here. He had to be, I could feel him and I could just about smell him. “Alex!” I tried screaming again, but it came out as more of a cough.

I heard fighting in the distance and the clanging of metal as it hit against one another. I ran towards that sound. I needed to find it. I knew it was Alexander. I needed him.

As I ran through the fire, the flames licked at my bare skin and it singed what flesh it could get a hold of. I wanted to cry from the pain it was giving me and the pain I was feeling, but nothing would come from my eyes. The heat had dried my eyes up. I jumped over a fallen beam and looked sadly at the flaming remains that were my home, but I quickly shook them out of my head as I ran on.

“Alex!” I yelled again, but that was quickly followed by a cough. I heard creaking and then a beam breaking. When I looked up I saw one of the higher beams falling and I screamed before running forward. There was a mighty crash as it came down and I screamed a dry scream. I swallowed what little spit I had in my mouth and it irritated the dry parts of my mouth.

I got closer to the fighting and the heat was really getting to me now. I was sure my legs and feet were burned. I was sure that my hair was singed and that my body had barely any moisture in it. I thought I was dying, at least I wanted to. I saw Alex in the distance and he was going in for the kill. He was going to kill some man and as I got closer, I realised it was my father.

“NO! Alex, please don’t!” I screamed as I ran toward them and they both raised their swords at the same time to come crashing down…on me…