5

Alexander:

You have no idea how glad I was that we had gotten back on the road and away from that Alpha and his creepy staff, but still something felt off. I felt like we were being followed or at least watched and I hadn't gotten over that feeling since I got to that Pack. I scoffed at the idea of it being a pack, the Alpha wasn't even a good enough Alpha, he was more like a dictator and a prideful one at that. No man like that was fit to rule and the way he treated his own Princess showed that he just wanted power and no man like that should be in charge. They make rash and fast decisions when it comes to grabbing more power, which is when everything goes to shit.

My mother wasn't like that, she only did rash things when she was backed into a corner and she never like battle. She said that the idea of making men lay down their lives in a dispute that could be fixed between two people is a rash and idiotic decisions that does not need to be made. She always taught me to never make a decision while angry and to never follow the judgment of others as it is your neck on the line, no one else's. I just wonder if other people realized that.

We'd left straight after the tour of the town and Desiree had had a chance to meet the pack members, asking them a ton of questions till she got as much as she needed to see how well this pack was surviving and how much work needed doing. She was glad that she hadn't come with the Alpha because just being with the Beta made a few people in the beginning scared to talk to her. It wasn't until she finally sent the Beta away that people started opening up to her. It made me sick to see people so scared of them and the punishments that they were telling Desiree about had my stomach and my wolf rolling away in disgust. The very idea coming back into my head made me queasy.

I didn't realize how bad some people had it till I went there. I had thought that the Werewolf kingdom was as good as us, but I guess I was wrong. Desiree explained to me that before she became able to do her duties and travel the Kingdom, her father was as ruthless and tiresome as that Alpha and so he let them get away with things like this. She said that now that she has practically taken the throne from him, she can start fixing things, but she wouldn't be surprised if there were more packs like that. They were allowed to run a muck for so long. She said that the amount of time they have had to do what they wanted had been too long and so she knew that she was going to be having a lot of paperwork and things to deal with. I felt sorry for her, she was pushed into this life more than me. She didn't have as much freedom as I had, yeah, yeah, I know. I now realize that my mother had given me free reign a little to do what I wanted. I wondered how she was faring and if she missed me.

'Of course she does!' My vampire side growled at me. I'd decided to let him out while Desiree and I were camping between one pack and another. He was annoyed that he had to be locked away and that he had been subjected to so many werewolves. Desiree didn't mind my vampire side and in fact, she loved him when he would make me sneak up on her and kiss her. She loved how fast I moved and knew when she needed me.

I'd set up camp half way between the first pack and the second that we were going to. It had been getting late and I was getting tired. Desiree could feel it and she told me to take a break, so I set up camp. Desiree would be sleeping in the carriage, while I slept outside and she didn't know about that yet. I had cooked dinner, which she had been adamant to help me out with and then I had washed them in the creek near here. She and I were sitting by the fire, well I was sitting with my legs out and she had her head on my lap. She looked up at me with her big blue eyes and melted me.

"What was it like growing up in the Werewolf Kingdom?" I asked her. I wanted to know how different her upbringing was to mine. She looked up at me and sighed. I guess it wasn't that good then.

"I wasn't brought up in a house of love, that's for sure, my mother and father were really rocky after they had me and it wasn't my fault, they always said that, but after me they never had anymore children, they barely touched each other. It plays on a little girls mind." She sighed as she told me. She looked up at me and I thought I could see tears starting to well up in her pretty ice blue eyes. "I was 6 when I shifted and after that my mother got further apart from me and dad. She wouldn't look after me, dad did and he taught me about being a wolf and she just grew distant. Dad and her tried, but he was more focused on me and so she left their room. She just became the figure head Queen and dad started going to find comfort with other women, paid ones more than anyone else." She explained and it made me feel bad for her that she never got to have what I had. My parents loved each other so much that there was no way anyone could get in between them. I guess we were a perfect family now that I look at it.