Be Smart, Keep the Second!

“When our ancestors forged a land ‘conceived of liberty,’ they did so with musket and rifle. When they reacted to attempts to dissolve their free institutions, and established their identity as a free nation, they did so as a nation of armed freemen. When they sought to record forever a guarantee of their rights, they devoted one full amendment out of ten to nothing but the protection of their right to keep and bear arms against governmental interference. Under my chairmanship the Subcommittee on the Constitution will concern itself with a proper recognition of, and respect for, this right most valued by free men.” 1 Orrin G. Hatch, Chairman Subcommittee on the Constitution, January 20, 1982 

     Orrin has a very good point. He states, “…they devoted one full amendment out of ten to nothing but the protection of their right to keep and bear arms...”2  To the founders of this country, their right to keep and bear arms, protected by the Second Amendment, was obviously very important to them. The Second Amendment helped found this country and helped provide the freedoms we now have, so why take that away? If you think that taking away our rights that the Second Amendment gives us would be a good thing then I’m writing this to change your mind. It is not only the right of the people to keep and bear arms but it is for their own protection, don’t take it away! This country was founded on God and forged by guns!

          “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be ingringed.”3 The Second Amendment as stated in the United States Constitution

The Second Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights in our Constitution. It was adapted on December 15, 1791 along with the rest of the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights includes the first ten amendments of our Constitution. The Bill of Rights protects our natural rights, such as our liberty and our property rights. The Bill of Rights is a symbol to many, of the freedoms and cultures of this nation as it guarantees a large amount of our personal freedoms; therefore guaranteeing our rights in the Second Amendment. The Second Amendment guarantees our rights to keep and bear arms.

     “The right to keep and bear arms,” short and simple words that carry a lot of meaning and power…but what do they really mean? What does it mean when they say, “It is our right to keep and bear arms”? To keep and bear arms pretty much means that we can possess and use firearms. It is our right as citizens of the United States to have arms, or guns for our own protection and our own defense. Not only is our right to keep and bear arms for individual use, it is also for use in a militia which consists of non-professional soldiers who are enrolled in military for emergencies to protect the country and our rights. That is what it really means when they say, “We have a right to keep and bear arms.” We have a right at citizens not only to possess and carry guns for use in militia but also for our own individual purposes, whether it is for self-defense or other reasons.

     Now what might be some specific reasons for citizens to carry guns? As already stated we can carry guns for our own protection. Many may argue that we don’t need guns for our own protection because that is what we have police for. They are there to protect us; but what about in places with no cops? The Supreme Court ruled in the District of Columbia v. Heller case in 2008 that,

          “[t]he Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.”4

You can use your firearms for self-defense in the home, so let’s think of an instance where your guns would be your only protection. There are many small towns all over this country which do not have cops stationed all over. Some small towns have no cops at all for weeks at a time, and in case of emergency it takes police up to an hour to arrive.