Chapter Two - The Reaping

A/N: My spacebar is being disrespondsive (WORK GODDAMMIT!) I am too lazy to go to the book for references so I am writing this from memory. I needed to get this story out and it is... 12:30 A.M. here. I am unable to edit so I might do that later, I am very VERY tired, sorry of any errors. That is how much I love you guys. The reason why I am writing this above is because of the cliffhanger at the bottom. Hope you enjoy this.

-Val :) 

It's called the reaping because people are chosen to their death. More of a lottery really. The district's girl and boy names that are twelve until eighteen are printed on a slip of paper that is in two seperate bowls. One for the boys and one for the girls. Your name is put in once when you're twelve, twice when you are thirteen, three times when you are fourteen and so on.

As Lalna and me walked back to district twelve, I asked him, "How many times did you put your name in?" If you put your name again, you can get a bag of grain or flour and if you're lucky, some meat as well.

He hesitates then answers, "Forty-four times." 

I stare at him then look away, "Thirty-eight," I mumble.

"Beat you," He chuckles but I don't find it funny. Forty-four chances that I will lose Lalna, not that love him or anything, that would be ridiculous. 

Soon, after we hide our bows, we slip under the hole in the fence with the meat in our bags that we had split before. I wave goodbye to Lalna and walk home. I open the door to my house that resembled a shack and stepped inside, the floorboards creaking under my weight as usual. Hannah walks in with her blonde pig tails and her tucked in white blouse and brown skirt and gives me a hug. I bent down and tucked in the little cloth that resembled a duck tail behind her and quietly said, "Tuck in that tail little duck."

She smiles and I straighten. I hang dad's leather hunting jacket and set my game bagon the table. I take out the things that I got. A few pieces groosling meat, squirrels -I'll trade with the baker for bread- rabbits, half a turkey, blackberries, strawberries which the mayor loves and a few herbs. My mother walks in. She sees the meat and herbs and nods. I walk out the room to take a shower. I undress. The only running water we have is the running tap at the back of the house. I dry myself and walk to the bedroom to find a faded blue dress. I put it on then braid my wet hair then exit the room to the dining room.

The smell of meat floats faintly around the house. My mother is cooking a stew with a bit of the groosling and herbs while Hannah helps her. Once the stew is cooked, we settle on the dining table eating the stew. We eat it in silence as there is nothing really to talk about.

We finish up then make our way to the Justice Building. Peacekeepers, basically guards of the Capitol, are stationed everywhere. The whole of district twelve walks unwillingly, like zombies. No one in district twelve likes the Hunger Games, no one. I walk with Hannah holding my hand and we go to the admission station. They prick a little bit of blood from your finger and sign you in. They make sure you are here and if you aren't, then they will hunt you down. Once your twelveth birthday passes, they make sure your name is in that bowl. I seperate myself from Hannah and I give a smile to tell her not to worry.

After we sign in, we crowd around the stage in a orderly fashion. I immediately spot Lalna in the crowd with his blonde hair and he looks at me with little wave. I roll my eyes. I try to find Hannah and I do, she has a look of worry on her pale face. Monica Trinkle steps on stage with her pink curly hair and matching eye shadow. She wore a frilly pink blouse and a pink pencil skirt and pink shoes, obviously from the Capitol. The mayor and his daughter, Eiliza steps sits on the white chairs behind  Monica and the glass bowls which are full of paper slips. I know the mayor and his daughter well as I always swing by to give themwild strawberries.

"Hello, district twelve!"She says enthusiastically to the moody crowd. "Before we get to the picking of names, a special video from the Capitol!" The video is shown every year and it tells us about the war and how we have the Hunger Games to remind the people who is in charge.

The video ends and Monica walks up to the microphone, "And now the picking of names. Ladies first!" I look at Lalna again and he gives my a crooked smile to tell me it's ok. Monica swishes her hand in the glass bowl and finally picks a slip of paper. What are the chances that Hannah will be chosen? Only one chance but for me? I'll be able to survive but not Hannah. I worry for her, I tell myself not to worry, she won't be chosen.

Monica unfolds the white slip of paper in her perfect painted finger nails. She walks up to the microphone and my heart drops as she reads the name.

"Hannah Proasheck!"