Chapter Three - I Volunteer

No! No! Hannah no!" I shouted ignoring all the confused looks from everyone. The peacekeepers kept me from reaching my sister who was walking toward the stage.

 Before I could stop myself I shouted, "I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!" The peacekeepers let go of me and Hannah stopped walking and turned to look at me with tears in her eyes.

 I calmed down and ran towards Hannah hugging her.

 "Be safe, Lalna will take care of you."

 "No," She said.

 "I will be back."

 "No!" she repeated and pulled on my dress. Lalna came from the big crowd and tugged away from me. She screamed my name again as Lalna lifted her onto his shoulders; I couldn't bear to look back at her as the peacekeepers escorted me to the stage. As I stepped on, Monica smiled and leaned to me.

 "I bet that was your sister correct?" she whispered. I nodded slowly and she turned back to the microphone smiling. I had no idea if it was forced or not.

“Well, that was rather dramatic! Now for the boys!” she said and proceeded to walk to the other glass bowl. I spotted Lalna in the crowd and he tilted his head and gave me another smile. Monica picked a name from the bowl and read the name. “Rythian Enderborn!”

I didn’t know who that was really, the crowd parted a little to reveal a young man my age, maybe a little older than me. Half of his face was covered in a mask; a blonde streak highlighted his brown hair. The look of surprise in his eyes disappeared when he started walking to the stage; soon Rythian took his place beside me. His face was familiar but not his name. I remember I was eleven, still too young to participate in the Hunger Games and too young to hunt, my birthday only a few days away, unable to get food for myself let alone my family. My dad had died already.

In the rain, there I was with Hannah’s baby clothes that no one wanted. Weak from hunger, I fell and leaned against a tree near a bakery. The smell of bread tortured me. I could only look inside and the window peeked into the oven room. A boy with a mask stood there staring at the bread in the oven and as if he sensed I was there, he turned to the window. Unable to move I simply closed my eyes hoping he doesn’t see me. A few minutes later, a shout rang out and a loud smack. I opened my eyes and found the boy out in the rain with two loaves burnt bread in his hands, his forehead was bruised. The fed a quarter of the bread to the pigs and paused. He seemed to be looking for something in the rain. The boy’s eyes rested onto me and he threw the rest of the bread towards me before going back inside. Willing myself to move, I crawled towards the bread before it got soaked. I stuffed it up my shirt feeling the warmth of the bread. Running home, I threw open the door and lay the bread on the table.

My mother and Hannah didn’t question where I got the bread from, my mother cut up the bread and we ate in slience. After that, we rationed the bread until my birthday when I could put my name in twice to get food.

When I look at Rythian now, I realize how much I owe him. Shaking my head, I looked back to Monica who was smiling brightly.

“Behold, our district twelve tributes!”