Chapter Eleven - When It All Began To Go Wrong...

Chrysanthemum veered left down a side track and the car behind them took the sharp turn too. They weren’t chasing just yet. Chrysanthemum eased a little bit faster. The car behind sped up.

“Chrysanthemum,” Celia warned.

“I know what I’m doing,” the Linguist snapped.

“Oh?” Blue raised an eyebrow. “So what’s at the end of this track?”

Chrysanthemum ignored him, just pushing a little harder on the accelerator. The car behind them was creeping closer.

“You know what?” Celia said, with a glance backwards. “I think you should forget subtlety and just get us out of here.”

Chrysanthemum looked in the mirror and swore. “Hold on.”

The car shot forward, slamming Sophie back into the seat. They careened down the lane, bouncing wildly from pothole to pothole. The passengers were jolted mercilessly.

“They’re gaining!” Sophie cried, glancing back.

“Society,” Celia muttered. “I’m sure of it. That looks like Creature in that car, if I’m not very much mistaken.”

“Creature?” Sophie stared. “You know someone called Creature?”

“Yes,” Celia answered, distractedly. “Creature Breach. I’ve worked with him on occasion. Mean little worm.”

The car swerved wildly to the right and Sophie’s forehead bounced off her window.

“Mind the duck,” Blue said, cheerfully.

“Are you always this irritating?” Sophie snapped.

Blue nodded. “It’s a matter of professional…”

He yelped as he was jolted from his seat, banging his head on the ceiling. Chrysanthemum swore colourfully as she navigated the unexpected farmyard.

“Pond!” Celia yelled, pointing ahead. “Pond! Pond! Mind the pond!”

Chrysanthemum yanked the wheel and the car began to bounce crazily across a field.

“Fence! Fence!”

“I can see!” Chrysanthemum shouted. “I can see the fence!”

They crashed straight through it and were on the road again, swerving a little, scraping the paintwork on hedges, but definitely on smooth, comforting tarmac.

“Oh,” Tala glanced behind. “Um…Celia…”