Chapter Twenty One

My compact black leather overnight bag is sitting on the unmade hotel bed with all my belongings packed neatly inside it.

 The only thing left for me to pack is the dress. The aubergine-coloured A-line bridesmaid dress is still hanging from the single gold hook on the back of the door to my room, where I put it ready to slip into this morning.  I haven’t yet been able to stuff it away in my bag like it no longer matters.

After last night’s events with Ash finding out the truth and leaving for his room without Lela, I have no idea how things stand. I’m pretty convinced that Ash hadn’t left just to let the dust settle. He’s probably standing in his room right now, packing a bag just like me.

No Lela. No wedding. No drama.

That seems the simplest option he has. But I don’t actually know that he hasn’t had any contact with Lela since his exit.

When Damien and I left the bar last night, Lela had managed to make it to a standing position, obviously with the help of her adoring fans. She was still lapping up all the attention, wailing like a baby and generally making a big show of things in a way that only Lela Henry can.

Some of what I heard her saying was that she needed to see Ash. The group didn’t think it was a wise decision, but that’s never stopped Lela from doing whatever she wants to do before.

Ash’s hot-headedness had been the cause of him flouncing off like that. And, though he seemed reasonably calm when he spoke to me, I knew that his most likely cause of action would be to smash up the contents of his hotel room as soon as he was alone.

Whether he’d calmed down later on and agreed to see Lela, I didn’t know. But it probably didn’t change anything if he had. What could she possibly say to him to make him trust her again?

It’s all over. The wedding’s off.

Putting off packing away the dress, I move to the little dressing table by the window. Rummaging around in my handbag that’s placed on its cool wooden surface, I retrieve my mobile phone. I find Anna’s number, and press the call button.

I’m met with a dull ringing, but no answer. At this time on a morning, she’s probably still in bed with her latest sexual conquest.

Sighing, I throw the phone onto the bed, hoping that she’ll get the missed call and ring back soon. Hearing her funny opinion about what’s happened might be just what I need today.

I wonder what Damien’s doing right now. His room is on the floor below mine, and he’s sharing with Ste. Neil and Johnny are next to them, and then Ash has his own room right next to that.

The group of men have probably spoken to Ash by now, and have more of an idea of what’s going on than I do. I pace my room for a while, picking my phone up from where it landed on the bed. I scroll down to Damien’s number, thinking I should call him to find out what to do. But he’s probably comforting Ash right now, isn’t he?

It’s funny how we met as two wedding guests, and now I don’t know what we are anymore. Will we even still see each other after all this is over? I remember my wedding date plan, and how Damien seemed like the perfect candidate as soon as I saw him.

Yes, I was going to look hideous as soon as I put on that dress and Lela’s stupid makeup artist arrived. But I was going to have Damien there with me. Maybe I always wanted more than just a date to my best friend’s wedding.

Sliding my fingers over the dress, I unhook it from the hanger and carry it carefully over to the bed. I place it down on top of my open bag, not wanting to fold it away.