Playing with Fate

I awoke with a startle, my senses coming alive and my eyes snapping open. There was constant pressure on my head, and my skin felt raw and sore. My hair was damp, and my fingers were tingling. I soon became aware of my surroundings, and saw no one near me. My memory kick-started, and everything from the past day flooded into my brain. I could only start to imagine what everyone thought of me as I remembered my freak out. They were probably deciding what they would do with someone as mental as me.

I was jostled out of my thoughts with a bang sounding below me. I jumped off the bed I was laying on, and snatched my wand off the nightstand that it laid on. Quickly, I made my way down the steps with my wand held out in front of me.

"What's going on?" I demanded as I reached the bottom floor. I looked around through a hazy mist of gray dust and made out a shape standing amongst three others.

"Hold your fire, it's me, Remus!" The voice called out. I didn't let out my breath though.

"Oh thank goodness." Hermione sighed, and shut the curtains of Mrs. Black's screaming portrait. Ron lowered his wand next to her. The only wands pointed at the figure were now Harry's and mine.

"Show yourself!" Harry dared, and the figure moved forward into the lighting. I moved to see over Ron's head, and Lupin's shabby face came into view. He held his hands up, gesturing a sort of surrender.

"I am Remus John Lupin, werewolf, sometimes known as Moony, one of the four creators of the Marauder's Map, married to Nymphadora, usually known as Tonks, and I taught you how to produce a Patronus, Harry, which takes the form of a stag," Lupin said flawlessly.

"Oh, all right, but I had to check, didn't I?" Both of our wands were now lowered.

"Speaking as your ex-Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, I quite agree that you had to check. Ron, Hermione, you shouldn't be quite so quick to lower your defenses."

I followed them down the stairs and into the kitchen as they chatted quietly about everything. They explained the cafe incident, and with surprise Lupin was attempting to make sense of it. They questioned him on what took place after the wedding, and Lupin explained everything as best as he could. He showed them an article in the Daily Prophet, and chatted about the new Ministry. I listened, and did not say a word.

When Lupin told us what was happening to Hogwarts, it made me disgusted. Mandatory schooling for young witches and wizard worthy of only the top blood status, being watched by Voldemort?

"It's... It's..." Harry trailed off, unable to find words for the extent of the horror.

"I know," Lupin finished. He seemed to pause for a moment, then opened his mouth again. "I'll understand if you can't confirm this, Harry, but the Order is under the impression that Dumbledore left you a mission."

"He did, and Ron, Hermione, and Lexa are in on it and they're coming with me."

"Can you confide in me what the mission is?"

"I can't Remus, I'm sorry. If Dumbledore didn't tell you I don't think I can." I looked over to Hermione, and she seemed to have a questioning look on her face.

"I thought you'd say that," Lupin said, his face drooped. "But I might still be of some use to you. You know what I am and what I can do. I could come with you to provide protection. There would be no need to tell me exactly what you were up to."

I could understand where Harry would agree with him on it. I turned to look at him, and saw 'Mione's face looking even more confused.

"But what about Tonks?" It didn't come across my mind that for Lupin to join us, he would be abandon his wife.