Escape

Hermione walked in Sirius's room about an hour later, with her eyes looking down and her hands clasped in front of her. 

"You can stay here while we go to the Ministry."

I shook my head. After thinking about it, I knew that my journey with them was over. I picked up my backpack off the ground and pulled it over one shoulder.

"I'm weighing you guys down being here, I can't keep-"

"Lexa, don't say that," she said, and I watched her eyes become glossy. "Of course we need you, you can help us with stuff."

"Like what stuff?" I asked her. "I don't want to stay with you, Hermione."

"Is this because of Harry?"

"Stop." My voice grew lower and my heart turned to stone. "This is not because of him."

"It is, isn't it?" Her eyes met mine. "We can work something out, you don't have to be alone with him or anything." 

"Hermione, it's not like that," I told her.

"Then what is it like?" she asked, her voice rising. "I don't care what he thinks, I want you with us. I need another girl."

"So, I'm supposed to stay with you so you can keep your femininity?" I shook my head again and nearly laughed. "It's not working, I can't deal with being around you all."

"It is Harry." 

"No, it's-"

"I know he kissed you." My eyes locked with hers.

"How do you-"

"It doesn't matter, but you can't just run away because he-"

"You don't understand!" My voice cracked at the end, and I could feel my eyes burning. "Can't you remember what happened to me over the summer? It was his fault, he could have saved me but he didn't. He chose not to."

"It isn't easy for us to forget about what happened, Lexa. But we can't continue to fix the past when we have to prepare for the future."

"You're all perfectly fine preparing for the future without me."

"Lexa we need you," she insisted. 

"I need to leave," I said, and walked over to her. "Can you please remove all of my possessions from your bag?" 

Her eyes glittered with tears and she stared at me for a second before pulling the bag out of her pocket. 

"Where will you stay?" 

I didn't answer her, but I knew where I could stay. She began taking things out of her bag, and I shoved them into my backpack. I felt for my wand in my pocket, and zipped the backpack shut. 

"I'll be fine," I reassured her. Tears streamed down her cheeks, but she quickly wiped them away. She turned away from me and headed down the stairs. 

I looked back into Sirius's room, and to a particular picture on the wall I hadn't seen before. A women with bright hair and vibrant eyes was next to Sirius. This was my mother. 

I touched the picture on the wall, and noticed that it looked newer compared to the ones with James, Remus, and Wormtail. He looked older, more mature and wise. Had he put it on here just recently, after he was out of Azkaban and before his 'death'? 

"Lexa?" Hermione called from downstairs. I pulled the picture off the wall and shoved it in my bag before closing the door and walking down the stairs. 

She was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs, and held a small bag.

"What's that?" I asked.