At Your Service

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
Hope you all enjoy this fanfic, I intend to finish this one! :)
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
James Kent strolled in through the back door warily, he wasn't particularly nervous, just a little cautious of everything. He wanted to make a place for himself here, he knew that the moment he'd set his eyes on the place. The grand building, the grounds, the wholly comfortable feeling he got when he walked up the pathway out the front; he knew he wanted to get the job. The city life called to him frequently, and spending his entire life in service was not an idea that appealed to him, but that was for a little later in life he thought. For now, he ought to make something of himself here, he ought to make a difference in some way.

As he'd entered the hall, the havoc of the downstairs staff had hit him full force, and as he walked towards what looked to be the servants hall, his anxiety was replaced with excitement, and he took in a deep breath of confidence as he scanned the area for anyone who looked of importance. His eyes glanced into the kitchen, and he guessed it was the cook and some of the kitchen maids he saw. One of them was rather lovely looking, and she was smiling keenly at the other girl, whose expression seemed miserable by comparison, looking oblivious to the slop that was starting to bubble behind her. Jimmy smirked to himself, he'd be sure to introduce himself later.

Turning his attention back to the direction he was walking, he knocked on the open door of the servants hall. Several people were in there, mainly house maids, although a very tall looking man around his own age was sitting amongst them as well. The knock caused everyone to look up at him, some seemed in awe.

He cleared his throat awkwardly, although he generally enjoyed the attention of female company, a rather stern looking woman had met his gaze and looked at him expectantly.

"Hello," he let out, resulting in some excited gasps from some of the maids. The stern woman looked as though she was about to say something, but was cut off by a sweet looking blonde woman. "Can we help you?"
"I'm looking for Mr Carson. I've come for the interview?" he said questioningly.
All their faces seemed to be a little drained and lacked any sign that they'd heard what he just said. The blonde woman seemed to roll her eyes at them all. "I'm Anna," she continued, smiling politely.
"Jimmy," he returned, feeling more at ease with every passing second. At this moment, another man walked in through the door of the hall, and looked him up and down.

He had slicked back charcoal hair, hard cheekbones and piercing green eyes. The pale complexion made him look very cool and collected for some reason. Jimmy felt a little taken a back, intimidated even, but the man's expression seemed less menacing, and more puzzled.
"Who's this?" he asked everyone, turning to look at their faces, but again got no reply for a while.
"The new footman, apparently," said the stern woman with disinterest. Jimmy resisted the urge to clench his jaw; he instantly disliked the woman.
"Jimmy Kent, at your service," he smiled politely. The man smiled at him slightly.
"I'm Mr Barrow, his Lordships valet." There was a short and awkward pause between everyone before Barrow continued. "Who are you looking for again sorry?"
"Mr Carson..." Jimmy trailed off as a well-kept but slightly elder woman came in to the hall. Judging by everyones sudden straightening of posture, he assumed she must've been the housekeeper.
She'd heard what he'd said and simply told him to follow her. He complied and gave a small and grim wave to those he left in the hall.

Once he'd gone far down the hall, chatter erupted out of the maids, all grinning with excitement, stating their prayers that he'd get the job. Anna smirked a little at their silliness, but Miss O'Brian was a little less impressed.
"You can tell already he's going to be a total pansy."
"Come now Miss O'Brian," said Thomas as he sat on a chair near them and lit a cigarette, "we mustn't judge on first impressions."
"Well I know you already have," she uttered.
"And what do you mean by that?"
"Nothing at all Mr Barrow, nothing at all."
Thomas and Anna exchanged a look of mutual distaste for her.

Ever since Thomas had refused to help Alfred and caused him the embarrassment of the shirt incident, the once formidable companionship of Thomas and O'Brian had snapped, and the were as cold as ice to one another. He wanted to gulp, but stopped himself; he knew how perceptive and annoyingly crafty she was, so he knew that she'd already read his thoughts on Jimmy. And he also knew at some point she'd do something to strike back at him.
Thomas tried not to think about it, and focus on the charming man he'd just encountered. In a way, O'Brian was right, he had got the impression he'd be a softie, a bit of a ladies man, but that wasn't going to deter any friendship surely? He just needed to make sure he didn't come on too strong, he didn't want to scare Jimmy off before he'd even gotten the chance to know him.

Down the corridor, Jimmy settled himself in the chair opposite Mr Carson. He's awfully strict looking, Jimmy had thought.
The interview went ok, Jimmy tried to avoid making any snide comments where necessary, although he hadn't been able to stop himself from mentioning how well favoured he had been by Lady Anstruther. Carson was not overly impressed it would seem, and his blank and slightly irritated expression made that clear. But nevertheless, he got the job, and laid on the gratitude thick as he got up and left the room.
Once he'd let it settle that he'd actually gotten the job, he smiled to himself, rather chuffed at how easy it had been. But the he realised he had no clue how to get to his room.
Frowning, he wondered back into the servants hall, where it seemed in the 15 minutes he'd been gone, many of the maids had dispersed, and it was now only Anna and Thomas in there.
When he entered they both looked at him.
"Got the job then?" asked Mr Barrow.
"Yep, and very pleased I am too. I was wondering though, if you're not too busy, might you show me to my room?"
Thomas' face lit up. "Of course. Follow me then, I'll help with some luggage."

Jimmy followed Thomas up the seemingly everlasting set of stairs, carrying one of his two bags. Mr Barrow was explaining a little about the house as they walked, talking about the general personalities of those they served, including Mr Carson. Thomas warned him not to get on Carson's bad side, or else he may never be able to get off it, like him.

"Why are you on Mr Carson's bad side?" asked Jimmy innocently. Thomas avoided making eye contact, and said very vaguely, "I suppose we've just always been a little off with each other ever since I came here really. I've never liked him much," he trailed off. Jimmy frowned, determined now to know more, but he didn't push it, he figured he'd find out soon enough.
They arrived at his room. It was small but cosy looking, so not really Jimmy's style, but he didn't complain, it could be a lot worse. Thomas settled his bags and smiled at him.

"I'll see you later then," he said as he turned to leave.
"Thank you Mr Barrow," replied Jimmy suddenly.
"What for?" Thomas asked, raising an eyebrow.
"I don't know really, but um..." he trailed, feeling awkward. "Oh! The case, thanks for helping with my case."
Thomas just smirked and tilted his head a little as he left.
Jimmy smiled, at least he'd made one friend so far.