Chapter 13: Death is Death (Especially for Demigods)

(This is a flashback that takes place during the battle of Manhattan)

Shattered. Terrified. Heart broken. Miserable. This is how I'm feeling right now, curled up in the embrace of one of my brothers, (Will Solace) while I'm crying my eyes out, gods I hate crying. This last battle was devastating for one reason. Michael died, the person I was closest to at camp Half-blood. The person who showed me kindness and compassion the moment I set foot into the camp boundaries, he showed me the ropes to demi-god life. We weren't just brother and sister but close friends as well. And now he's gone...

"Why are you crying?" I look up with a glare on my face to see a olive skinned kid with ruffled black hair and black eyes, he's wearing a aviator jacket and and black pants. There's a black metal sword strapped to his side giving off a dark vibe. I didn't want to answer but Will did it for me.
"We lost our brother in the latest battle. Lyra was the closest to him."  The boy is silent for a second before speaking.
"My name's  Nico Di Angelo, a son of Hades. My sister died a couple years ago, we were really close too. Your name is Lyra right?" I pull myself out of Will's embrace and stand up. I'm no longer crying but my eyes are red and puffy. When I speak my voice is tremulous.

"Lyra Cithara, yeah. It's pathetic to cry I know, I'm not the only person here who lost someone important to them." He gave a ghost of a smile.
"You're right." He starts walking away. That little.. I was about to yell at him but he started to speak again. "About you not being the only one losing someone. But no, it's not pathetic or weak to cry, it shows compassion, something many people have trouble with. But death is death, especially for demigods. The sooner we all understand it the easier it will be to live our lives." With that he vanishes into the shadows.
I'm still shaken up and sad about his death, I'm still going to mourne. But He's absolutely right, the sooner I understand it the better. Death is death.