Chapter Three

Chapter Three

ANY TIME SPENT with Zachary and Zayn Malik in the same room is an awkward experience. Only the sounds of silverware against the best plates recovered since the release of The Affliction makes the air rather tense—for me at the very least.

It's not the first time we've eaten together, but Wilson has always been with us, conversing with Zachary as Zayn tries to make conversation with me. Everything is much more quiet without the chatter of the mess hall to fill the empty spaces of the Malik residence—the only residence in Hull that's a single house occupied by one, two person family. Zachary's wife died months after Fort Hull was established and starting off as a camp for fugitives. It was before we had a stable foundation for occupations and training, and from what I've gathered over the years, she was a very strong willed woman. She went outside the gates one day—in search for what, I'm not sure. Too many stories have floated around as people wonder why Zachary never mentions a woman or remarrying. When she didn't return after the first night, Zachary left his little boy with friends and went to find her. That next night, he arrived by himself and only said she wouldn't be coming back.

Everyone knew it wasn't because she didn't want to return; it's because she died in one way or another.

Wilson has runs to make tonight for next week's food and clothes for the new comers, Niall is running late in files, and Danae is too young for these affairs, so Mira is watching her for the night. Discomfort made itself at home in me when these arrangements were made this morning.

Before Zayn came to collect me, I gave her a verbal itinerary of what Danae needs to do—her coursework, chores listed by Wilson and prepare for bed—and she might need help with—her coursework, chores listed by Wilson and preparing for bed. I didn't list off any books in hope Mira wouldn't read to the younger girl, and we can avoid furthering our conversation that started yesterday at the pond.

"So, Astrid," Zayn sips water from his cup. "How's Niall's engagement going? Have they set a date yet?"

I make minimal eye contact with him, mostly at my plate, but I can feel his gaze on the side of my face as he sits next to me at the small, square table. "Yes, they will have their ceremony in the Chapel in a few weeks. Then they'll move into a residence with another couple."

"That'll be best if they plan to stay a family. Your residence would become a little crammed otherwise."

However, I'll dread when my best friend has to move out. It may be selfish, but I'll not be able to see him on a regular basis, since he'll have his wife to think about. I can't wish for Niall top to remain at home when he wants to start this part of his life somewhere else with a new person.

"It won't be long until it's your turn to settle down," Zachary comments, waving his fork in the air as a gesture. "However, for time being, I hope you'll be able to accompany me to the wedding. It's custom for my father and I to attend with the public."

My jaw clenches to keep myself from rolling my eyes. Excuse, excuse, excuse.

"I might be busy helping the bride get ready, you know, being the soon-to-be sister-in-law and all."

Zachary says, "I can talk to Wilson for you. He won't object if he knows you'll be with Zayn."

That's what I'm afraid of, I internally retort. But externally I force a smile in his direction and divert my attention to the plate of food as silence is the only things that comes from me. They two men keep talking, though, about the odds and ends of Hull. They have no problem speaking about business around me, fully knowing that I'm under orders and secrecy. Apparently there was talks about a meeting in a ruined town just miles outside the gates that made itself  to the ears of our field workers and then back to the fort's leaders. What this meeting between stragglers is about, I'm not sure—I'm too in and out of the conversation, constantly looking at my watch for the right time to excuse myself and leave.