Chapter Four

Chapter Four

BY THE TIME I leave the hospital, residences are off to work, racing from building to building under the bucket loads of rain. Niall is still inside the facility with Wilson's friend, recounting the little information he knows. Once Anne introduced herself, I walked out. I knew that if I didn't, my internal comparisons wouldn't stop until I analysed every detail about her.

But I don't have room to think about that at present. I have to find Zachary, or even Zayn for that matter, and report suspicion of The Affliction inside the walls. One of us already have come in contact with it, including Wilson, Niall, and myself.

Mira and Danae would be left by themselves if we contracted the fatal disease.

I tug up the hood of my jacket, using what minuscule coverage I have, and dash into the open roads towards HQ.

Entering the largest building in Hull, I shove pass everyone to get to Zachary's office, but I'm stopped by a dark skinned woman named Maya, who is the head of this portion of HQ.

"Miss Benson," she calls me by my surname. "I'm afraid Mr. Malik isn't in his office at the moment. And you're late—why?"

I stare at her as I regain my breath. "Malik isn't in his office?" I repeat her words in question. She shakes her head, her braid gently swaying with the movement. "Then where is he? It's urgent that I speak to him straight away."

Maya moves closer to me under the florescence lights. Her dark, chocolate eyes and sharp cheekbones are significantly frightening to someone who hasn't known her long, but she knows I hold a higher position than her, no matter the age difference. "Why is it urgent?" She murmurs so only the two of us can hear. "You haven't screwed up something, have you? Mr. Malik wouldn't like that."

"No," I snap back. "I just need you to tell me where Zachary is and then make sure no one enters or leaves this building. Can you do that for me?"

Either the fear and concern in my voice or the importance and pleading made her gaze at me a moment. No matter, though, because she says, "He mentioned stopping by the library before going to set up for tomorrow's service at the church early this morning when he first came in. Though I'm not positive he's still there, it's your best shot. I'll make sure this place is secure. I'm trusting you on this, Benson."

With news on Malik's whereabouts, I tell her my appreciation and begin my journey again, but this time en route to the library.

The rain hasn't lightened up one bit, and it reminds me of Danae last night, and my heart misses a beat. Please, God, make sure she and Mira and everyone else for that matter don't come in contact with The Affliction. Please, God, please. I silently pray.

Skipping steps in front of the library, I pull the door open, completely and utterly drenched from the monsoon brewing outside. But surely enough, Zachary Malik stands with three others, whom have all drawn their attention towards me.

"Ah, Astrid," Zachary greets. "Surprise seeing you here. Come and join us," he gestures to his companions, Zayn, Lydia and Harry. "We were just talking to Mr. Styles about the necessary training for a different position."

Harry, instead of speaking, nods along, grinning at me.

I reject Zachary's offer, though, knowing that if I were to get too close whilst infected, they could all become Afflicted as well. Close contact is a silent killer.

"There's actually something I need to talk to you about, Zachary. Just you."

"Yes, I heard about your father, Astrid. Our nurses will get him all patched up and back out there in no time," he assures me.