why? (daryl d.)

plot- reader and daryl escape the farm after it is overrun and reader is upset over losing so many people lately

word count- 777

warnings- none

"Y/N!" Daryl yells over the moans of the walkers and sound of Hershel's farm burning to the ground. I whip around to see Daryl gesturing for me to hop on the back of his motorcycle. I find it hard to tear myself away from the farm and the people were leaving behind. Reluctantly, I jog over to the motorcycle and Daryl speeds off.

We've been driving for maybe 20 minutes until we reach the highway where we once left supplies and food for Sophia, who is now dead. Daryl slows down and I quickly jump off of the motorcycle and run my hand through my hair is desperation and panic.

"Y/N-" Daryl starts but I cut him off.

"Oh my god," I breathe. "Oh my god."

"It's gone Daryl. All of it." I say.

"Y/N, were gonna find them." Daryl says slowly and cautiously. I let out a humorless laugh.

"Daryl, let's be real. Are we? Everything is so fucking temporary!" I exclaim. Daryl's eyes widen at my sudden outburst.

"Hey! Now you shut the-"

"What? Are you gonna shoot me? Go ahead. I'm so sick of this! Do you realize that we've lost so many people lately? Dale, Amy, Jim, Sophia."

Daryl looks down at his feet. "I just-I don't understand. We try and try and we still lose people!" I yell.

"Y/N, we can talk but you need to shut the hell up, you're gonna attract walkers!" Daryl seethes.

"Daryl, don't you understand, I don't give a shit. Why do we keep losing people? Please tell me. It's like, no matter how hard we try, it doesn't matter. I don't get it!" I begin to cry. "It's my fault isn't it? Right? If I tried hard enough or did more-" I break down and Daryl walks over and engulfs me in his arms.

"Sh." Daryl coos. "It ain't your fault." Sobs rack my body as Daryl practically drags me to an abandoned SUV and lays down the backseat and spreads a blanket out. He begins to leave but I stop him.

"Can-can you.." I trail off. He sighs but nods and lays down. He spreads his arms around me and I lay my head on his chest.

"Y/N?" I hum in response.

"Why do ya think that this is all your fault?" My breath hitches and I answer him.

"I just always though it was." I state simply. "Don't you?"

Daryl chucked and takes a deep breath. "You're the last person to be at fault."

"How come?" I ask skeptically.

"Cause, you did the most to protect everyone." Daryl stays silent for a moment. "Ya know, I ain't one to do this but.." Before I know it, a pair of lips are against mine and it feels nothing but right. Sure Daryl can be an ass, but that's because he cares or he was to scared to admit anything.

"What made you do that?" I whisper.

"I've always wanted to." he admits. "I uh, I love you Y/N. Always have. Just too nervous to say anything."

"Then why were you always so rude to me?" I question.

"Cause I'm not emotional or shit. I didn't know how to act." he says. I giggle and I feel him tighten his grip on me. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and that's when I see it. A huge herd of walkers staggering down the street. It must be the herd that overran the farm. Daryl slowly pulls himself and me under the covers.

"Sh." he orders. I nod and bite my lip in order to stop from crying. I start to hear walkers tapping on the windows and their snarls and growls fill my ears. I clench my teeth and hold onto Daryl's hand so hard I'm afraid I'll break it. I feel Daryl squeeze mine in response. After awhile, the herd passed and Daryl peers out from under the blanket to make sure they're gone.

"Is it okay?" I ask. He nods and pulls the blanket from over my head. I breathe a sigh of relief and cling onto Daryl as if my life depended on it. In many ways that is true.

"We're okay." he breaths. "We're fine." I nod in response and let go.

"Thank you." I say after a moment of silence.

"For what?" he asks.

"Everything."

ew I actually hate this one but it's whatever. hope you had an awesome day lovelies.

12/13/15

Much love

-a.b