3. His Awkward Glances

I woke up and rubbed the sleepiness out my eyes, almost expecting to hear his voice again. He had already made a habit of being there when I woke up. I looked around and saw that I was still in the same clothes from before and still in the bed. So, he didn’t touch me during the night, good.

I got out of the bed and cautiously walked toward the door and tried the doorknob. It was unlocked. Hope suddenly sparked a flame in my heart and I quietly opened the door. I carefully stepped into the hallway, my feet feeling the soft, white carpet. I tried to remember the way I got here the night before and remembered we came from the left so I turned right and ran down the hallway.

The staircase from the night before appeared and I quickly sped down the stairs and down the hallway into the kitchen. I froze when I got there because it was either I go down another hallway not knowing what would come next or go back down to the basement. I took a shaky breath and looked down the hallway. It looked like a carbon copy of the one I just came from.

This wasn’t good. He could be anywhere in the house and if he found me; I didn’t even want to know what he would do to me. Doubt rose in me; maybe I should just stay in the kitchen and wait for him to appear like he always does.

No I couldn’t do that, I had to find a way out. Ignoring all doubt in my mind, I treaded down the hallway and it eventually turned into another staircase going down. How big was this house? I walked down the stairs but froze when my feet caused the stair to make a loud creak. Immediately, rustling came from below the staircase. I looked over the railing, fear rising in my chest.

In a matter of seconds, I fell on my bum and something was on top of me. My eyes widened when I saw a long, slimy tongue in my face. I looked to the side and saw the face of an adorable black and white husky. This was not what I was expecting… I heard some more rustling but it wasn’t the dog so it had to be him. “I’m uh, I’m sorry about that. Rocky get back!” The dog climbed off of me and placed itself beside me, tongue hanging out of his mouth and tail pounding the stair.

“You have a dog?” I looked up at him and he was wearing the sweats from before but this time with a navy blue t-shirt. “Well I am human. It gets kind of lonely in this big house so I need some company.”

“What about a girlfriend?” He chuckled and took a step forward, grabbing the dog by the collar and tugging it towards him. “Did you ever think that maybe that’s what you’re here for?” I froze and looked up at him. I wasn’t really expecting that… I just thought I was here so he could torture me a little and then kill me…

“So…I’m not here so you can kill me…” He looked away from me and told to dog to go outside and the dog ran off, leaving us alone. “I’ve thought about it…but that wouldn’t make much sense since the only reason you’re here is because I wanted you and I have you so here we are.”

I looked down at my feet because now it was worse than I thought. I thought he would hurt me and then kill me, ending my suffering. But now…now he’s going to keep me here for who knows how long. His arm shot out and grasped my arm, pulling me up. “Let’s go.” He dragged me down the stairs and down an unknown hallway. After a minute of walking, he took a sharp turn. I stumbled trying to follow him and when I did, I found him sitting on a sofa in a room with…just a sofa; nothing else.

He patted the seat next to him but I just stayed where I was. I may have let my guard down last night but the last thing I was going to do was let it happen now, when he had full advantage of the situation. He sighed, obviously annoyed by my stubbornness and leaned forward on his knees. “Look, I’ve thought about it and after last night, I thought it would be better if instead of being in the basement, tied up, you could have a room up here; where it’s more comfortable.”