Chapter 6

Katara didn't believe in ghosts. She didn't believe that people could come back from the dead, nor had she ever wanted to. When her mother passed away, as much as wanted to believe that there was a chance, even a slim one, that she could somehow be alive, that she could've survived the Fire Nation Raid and somehow escaped.....she knew that, whether she liked it or not (and she most certainly did NOT like it) her mom was gone, and wouldn't be back. And yet, after all this time, years after that horrible day, her mother was here, standing right in front of her.

                     For the longest time, Katara's body went numb again. She couldn't move, speak, or even think. All she could do was stare with wide eyes. Then after what felt like centuries, she opened her mouth and faintly whispered, "M-m-mom?"

                   Kya simply smiled at her and said, "My goodness, Katara. You've grown so much,"

                  That was all Katara could take. Tears streamed down her sweaty face, and a tiny whimper escaped her lips . She put both hands on her face, choking back a sob. Kya kneeled beside her and moved her hands away, replacing them with her own.

               "Katara, don't cry," Kya said, stroking her cheek softly, the same way she used to when Katara was younger. "It hurts to see my little girl in so much pain," she finished, opening her arms to her. Katara practically leaped into them, weeping like a baby. Kya stroked her back with one hand and the back of her head with the other, while speaking calming words to her.

            "Shhh, don't cry, honey. It's ok, mommy's here," she cooed. Katara buried her face in her mother's shoulder, so many thoughts running in her head. How was this possible? Was this really happening? Or was this just a dream, a beautiful, unbelievably- realistic dream that, at some point, would come to an end?

          But Katara didn't care. She didn't care about what was or wasn't real. All she cared about at that moment that her mother was here with her, holding her in her arms. She wanted this moment to last forever.

        Unfortunately, it didn't. After about six minutes of the wonderful embrace, Kya pulled away gently and looked at her second child square in the eye, a serious look in her sea- blue eyes.

          She spoke softly but firmly. "Katara, there's something I really need to tell you,"

        Katara sniffled and wiped the remainder of her tears away. "M-Mom, what going on? How are you here, w-what's going on?" she stuttered faintly.

       Kya put her hands on both of Katara's shoulders. "It's complicated honey. Let's just say that I'm not exactly allowed to be here," she said. "But I had to come here. Katara, you're in danger. Someone very bad is out to get you,"

       "W-what?" Katara asked,a new wave of fear creeping on her again.

      I cant tell you who, I've broken enough rules already by coming here," Kya said, a hint of pain in her voice. "But I can tell you this: This person.....he's a monster. He's caused so much pain, so many deaths, so many tragedies......its hard to even talk about,"

       " B-but why is he after me? W-what did I do?" katara asked, her lip quivering.

      "I can't tell you that, either," Kya said, a helpless look in her eyes. "But I can tell you this: He's insane beyond comprehension. He takes "evil" to an entirely different level. He's done things that even Ozai wouldn't even think about doing. He has people working for him all over the place, spying and kidnapping innocent people, taking them to him so he kill them in some unatural way. "