A Man's Merchandise

Lessien took a breath and then proposed her thoughts. "We could go to the Outer End. I know people there who would take us in."

Gandalf paused. "Who?"

"These are the people I trust. There is no danger there," she insisted.

"I don't think it's a bad idea," Legolas cut in.

Thank you, Lessien silently mouthed at him and then proceeded to purse her lips in anticipation.

Gandalf opened his mouth, closed it, and opened it again. Finally, he turned to ask Aragorn what his opinion was, "What of the Outer End, Aragorn? Do you think it's safe to rest there?"

Lessien was slightly irritated when Gandalf went to ask Aragorn his opinion. She was a Ranger too, she was wise and had good ideas. She had lived there. She was no deluded adolescent girl, even if she might look like one.

Aragorn, as if sensing this, was cautious in his reply. "I have not been to the Outer End but once." He gestured to Lessien. "She grew up there. Lessien has good judgement as well as I. She went through the same training, I think we should trust her word."

Everyone paused and looked at her expectantly.

"I say we go to the Outer End," Aragorn decided.

-

It was about six leagues from the Fangorn, the Outer End, and about half a days' hard riding but there was the matter of the horses to be tended to.

Gandalf led the way out of the heavy shroud.
Lessien's conscience did not feel fully relieved of Pippin's and Merry's souls but she knew that she had done all that she could for them. Gandalf had assured her that they would be alright.

As they exited the Fangorn into the clearing, Gandalf let out a high shrill whistle that seemed to bounce off even the mountains.

In the distance a white figure appeared galloping towards them.

The beast was so white. Its hair was as white, or even whiter, than Gandalf's own beard. "Ah, Shadowfax," he murmured quietly to himself and continued on to explain, "This beast has been loyal to me in my many travels and is quite a fine beast, mind you. Bred purely by the Horse Lords themselves and best even upon that superior breed."

The steed came closer and as he came closer, Gandalf also approached. Stroking his mane and nose, Gandalf let out another fine whistle.

The horses that the group had seemingly lost track of the night before now galloped to them. It was a miracle and only a small demonstration of Gandalf's newly inherited power.

The horses that had seemed so beautiful now seemed ordinary, if not ugly, compared to the pure Shadowfax. But if it had four legs and could gallop swiftly, it mattered not what its appearance was.

The horses slowed from a full on sprint to a gallop and then to a trot, finally reaching the four who still expected help.

They all mounted, Lessien helped by Aragorn because of her leg.

Legolas assisted Gimli and rode with him.
"My friend, we are going to ride hard. Be as prepared as you can," Legolas warned the dwarf.

"No steed could surprise me," could be heard escaping Gimli's mouth.

Lessien smiled quietly to herself. Apparently, Gimli had not witnessed Lessien's riding skills. Though this was not a horse she was accustomed to, it was a good steed. Without a second thought, she urged him forward, "Let us ride."

They all began to urge their horse into a gallop.
Lessien remembered times when she would race her father playfully.

Those times were long gone.