(2) Sick Days

Nothing happened at all that night, but surprisingly I was able to sit still the entire time. Scout had to stand up once or twice to stretch his legs, but otherwise I couldn't complain. It was about 5:30 in the morning before Heavy opened the back door and told us to hop in. I was exhausted from staying up all night. I sluggishly stood up and climbed in, wrapping myself tightly in my coat and curling up in the corner of the truck. Scout jumped back in the passenger seat as I looked around at the others. Everyone else was still sleeping, but I knew the moment Soldier woke up that it wouldn't be long before everybody else would be jerked awake with drool still dripping down their chins from the cozy depths of sleep. I remembered it being warm in the truck though...so why was I still freezing?

The Medic was sleeping in front of me. I don't know if it was my tired mind that made me do it, but I just looked at him, watching him closely. He was in his vest and had taken off his coat to use as a pillow. The Medic...I admired him...but I didn't have a crush on him. It was just....calming to see him sleep. I curled up tighter against the corner, my teeth chattering as a shiver ripped through my back.

Heavy jumped into the van, making the entire vehicle shake. As I tried not to fall over he looked over at me, tilting his head a little.

"Is girl okay?" He asked me. I wrapped myself up tighter.

"I'm fine. Just a little cold."I replied quietly, not wanting to wake anyone up. He bent down to look at me closer and I looked up at him as he did.

"You as white as sheet," he said softly back to me, bringing a hand to my forehead. "and you're burning."

"I am?" I asked as he took his hand back. He nodded, gently nudging the Medic and trying to wake him up. I shook my head.

"No, really, I'm alright, Heavy." I whispered, hoping he would let Medic sleep. Despite me denying, he kept gently shaking him until he groaned softly.

"Mmmh...ja..?" he grumbled, opening his eyes.

"New girl is sick." said Heavy, looking back up at me. I was about to protest when another shiver took my breath, coming out in what sounded like a gasp. My head pounded and I suddenly felt too hot to be in my coat, but I knew that if I took it off I would most likely freeze. I laid my head back against the corner of the truck and closed my eyes, catching a glimpse of the Medic sitting up slowly.

"Oh wunderbar..." He said softly, feeling my forehead as Heavy did. His hand now felt cold to the touch, so I couldn't imagine how hot I actually felt. I opened my eyes again, a wave of sleepiness washing over my entire body. Scout was standing up at the other end of the truck, looking down at me. He looked a little concerned, but more curious if anything.

"Ja...du bist sehr warm..." he said quietly, more to himself than to me. Gently he had me sit up and took off my coat. I expected to break out in goose bumps as the cold hit my skin, but I was surprisingly still warm. A bit too warm for comfort though. I shook again, lying back once more. The Medic thought for a moment."Do you feel like throwing up..?" He asked, casting a glance at my stomach that was now covered by my arms. I shook my head slowly.  He nodded, quietly standing up and stepped over some sleeping bodies before grabbing the first aid kit, opening it and bringing out some Advil.

"Let's see if ve can bring zhat fever down..." He said gently, shaking out a few pills and handing me a glass of water. I quickly gulped them down, enjoying the feeling of the cold water sliding down my throat. He assured me that he would do something else if it didn't feel better or if the chills came back, and I nodded, my mind unable to focus on anything he was saying to me. He gave my shoulder a gentle pat and smiled softly. I smiled back as best as I could. Heavy and Scout went back in the front seats as the truck started up again. Slowly but surely we found the road and started to roll again. I swore I could sleep for another day. 

Maybe...a few more hours wouldn't hurt me...

_________________________________________________

"GET UP! GET UP YOU POOR EXCUSES FOR SOLDIERS! YOU'RE LAZY MAGGOTS, EVERY SINGLE ONE O' YOU! GET UP!"

I jerked awake harshly at Soldier's voice. I would've fallen over if Medic hadn't been there to catch me. My head throbbed badly and I quietly groaned in protest as he continued yelling for the others to wake up. Though we all knew that Soldier's wake up call was as annoying to one as the next, nobody had the guts to tell him to shut up. Not even Spy, and Spy had genuinely looked like he was having a bad morning so far. I rubbed my temples, hoping to subside some of the pain. I sniffled, realizing a moment later that I could no longer breathe through my nose, and my throat itched. This was just fantastic...

"Mmmh...Medic..." I mumbled. He looked at me, his small smile vanishing at the sound of my voice. It was scratchy. 

"Ja?" He questioned, turning himself slightly. "Still warm?'

"No," I shook my head slightly, my head pounding at the sound of my own answer. "My head hurts..." I coughed, and the men around me all looked at me, seeming a little puzzled, then taking a careful step away from me. He checked my temperature again. 

"Gott..." He muttered.  "I vas hoping it vouldn't get vorse." He mumbled quietly. 

"What's wrong with me?" I asked just as softly.

"Nozhing serious," He replied. "Fever, chills, headaches, scratchy throat....It seems you're catching zhe flu." I sighed and rested my head back against the corner of the van, closing my eyes. 

"Oh, perfect..." I muttered.