(7) Fuzzy

The Scout's eyes squeezed shut before opening just slightly. His head was pounding and so was his heart, sweat starting to bead at his forehead. He sat up carefully, staring wide eyed at the ground and running his hand over the back of his neck. Another nightmare. They'd been getting much more frequent and progressively worse. Some about being killed, others about falling, the rest about watching himself get beaten and burned. This one he'd just had, however, felt like the worst. He'd been back at the old base. Alone. Left Behind. No RED team, and no BLU team. It was simple...simple, but terrifying.

He wasn't aware that he was panting breathlessly, looking around him and seeing the new girl had dissapeared. Quickly he peered over the bushes at where the fire was the night before. There he saw her. She was curled up on the ground, still all wrapped up in her coat. Spy was sitting right next to her, only about an inch from her side as she slept. It looked like he was trying to protect her. He quietly sighed in relief and sat back. 

"Thank God none of that was real..." He murmured to himself. Quietly he pushed himself to his feet, leaving the treeline for the first time in forever, or so it felt. He stopped in the middle of the road and looked out towards the direction the truck had come from only a few days ago. Biting his lip and narrowing his eyes a bit, he clearly started recalling the events of a couple days ago. He'd still been riding shotgun, and the newbie had still been kind of a dead sick. 

Sitting down in the dirt road, he thought as hard as he could about everything...anything he could remember...His memory was fuzzy, but some things jumped out clear as day. Others sank back deep into the corners of his mind and hid.

______________________________

He'd been half asleep, mindlessly gazing out the windshield at the mountains in the horizon. They were only silhouettes in the distance against the pale blue sky. His eyes had slipped shut for only a moment before his body was lurched upwards, a huge thump rattled the truck as the front tire ran over something huge. Heavy then slammed on the brakes, making his body lurch forward and his head hit hard on the windshield. He hadn't put on his seat belt, but if he had, he knew it would've saved him a lot of trouble. He saw stars as gunfire rang out from the right side of the road. Heavy had sworn and tried to get the truck moving again but whatever they had run over did a great number on the front tire. The entire front of the truck wobbled furiously. He'd finally stopped and turned back towards the hollering and confused men, yelling for everyone to either arm themselves or take cover. Scout fumbled with the door handle and eventually popped the door open, scrambling out and running just before an explosion hit the front of the truck. He heard the windshield and windows behind him shatter. The rush from the sudden explosion making him stumble and fall onto his stomach. Adrenaline made him scramble forwards, bullets whizzing past him. One or two caught his hip, tearing open the skin and forming long, somewhat deep cuts. The back door slid open as he made his way to his feet, covering his bleeding wounds.

"Medic!" He'd shouted. He'd expected the medigun to start healing him, but instead he felt something big and kind of heavy being forced into his arms. 

"Take her, Scout! Take her and run!" the Medic shouted at him, turning away to haul his medigun out of the truck.

"Run where?!"

"Somevhere safe und far away! She'll know how to get back!"

A flash of BLU caught his eyes, quickly turning and spotting the other team's Pyro charging towards them. 

"Scatter!" Scout found himself screaming, and strangely enough everyone listened. The men all scattered and ended up surrounding the Pyro. He'd quickly panicked and blew a jet of flames around himself in a giant ring of fire. Scout shouted and turned his back, shielding the girl with his body. The flames caught his shirt and his back burned like a thousand hot coals were pressed against his back. Their own Pyro quickly air-blashed the back of his shirt, extinguishing the flames and pointing towards the woods, yelling for him to run in his muffled voice. He didn't fail to again and took off as fast as he could with the girl tight in his arms, vanishing into the treeline. The sounds of war getting quieter behind him. 

______________________________

He blinked quietly, coming back to reality. Something happened once he came back. He suddenly remembered every detail of Soldier and Pyro's death. Soldier hadn't been just standing in the truck when he was crushed. He'd been running back and trying to save the other Medigun from the fire. Once he'd reached the side of the truck another explosion hit, making the Soldier fall sideways and the truck turn over and land on top of his legs. Their Pyro had tried to pull him out, but Soldier was starting to scream with horrible pain. The flames swallowed them both. Sniper ran in and vanished as well. The BLUs had started to come out of their hiding places, striking everyone they could see over the heads with the butts of their weapons. Soon, he had been knocked out too, and according to the newbie they'd made off with most of their ammo and the Medic's medigun. 

Shivering quietly at the memory, he opened his eyes again, just in time to cry out and fall onto his back, a truck stopping just inches from where his face would've been. With half his body under the truck, he wheezed and looked at the opening door, seeing it close and a familiar face pop up over the hood of the truck.

"You guys called for help?" 

Ms. Pauling had finally arrived.