the accident.

"Booker, you ready for this game?" Brandon yelled as I sat on the bench inside the locker room. I had a hollow feeling deep within me that something was terribly wrong, but I let those feelings subside and then mentally hyped myself up for the game.

This was the game of a lifetime: The Championship Finals. We were playing against Chicago and we were both tied at 3 and 3 so it was a death match.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a sec." I called back as I rinsed my face off with some tap water and then ran out to the arena after given my cue.

I looked around for my parents, but to my surprise they weren't there. They always came early, always, plus we had the home court advantage. I was worried and my mind was nowhere near focused at this point, hence why when Tyson threw me a pass to do a layup it almost hit me.

-

The game was ultimately going horrible and from the looks of it, we were going to lose. Our shots weren't falling, half of our player were fouled out, and the ref's were being well, the refs. I had played a solid 22 minutes and made 7 points, but it still wasn't enough.

64-42 with 7:36 to go in the third quarter.

"Devin, we need to speak with you." Said a strange man in a paramedic suit. As he studied my furrowed brow, coach told me to go with the man back to the locker room.

"Is everything okay?" I asked confused at what was going on.

"Please sit down please Mr. Booker. This is in regards to your parents." He said and I stood staring at him.

"What about my parents?" I asked, my body now feeling numb.

"There was a crash involving a drunk driver and .. your parents. Your dad died on impact and there was nothing you could do and your mother, well she's currently in a coma. We have called in all of our best available staff to help her. I'm so very sorry. If you would like a ride to the hospital to see your mom, the offer is there." He stated sympathetically.

I was in agony as I watch the paramedic man leave the locker room through my blurry vision. I laid down on the cold, concrete floor and I wept.

"Mom," I yelled, "Dad, I'm so sorry for not being there for you. I'm sorry. It should have been me, you were the best parents a kid could've asked for and I'm so fucking sorry that some dumbfuck bastard hit you. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I kept mumbling the words I'm sorry until I was covered in my own tear mixed saliva.

71-54 with 8:51 to go in the final quarter, can the Suns recover?

I dragged my body off the floor and looked in the mirror.

"I'm such a fuck up." I screamed as I punched my hand against the mirror and watched it shatter on the ground. "Yeah well that makes two of us, mirror."

I opened my locker and then turned on my phone.

Mom:

me and your father are on our way !! so excited to see you play hunny, win this for us !! love you :)

I knew that at that moment I had to put my feelings and emotions aside and help win this game, not for me or my teammates, but for my parents.

I ran some cold water over my bleeding hand and tried to wipe off all the pain from my face, but it was still evident that I had been crying.

"For you mom and dad." I breathed out as I walked back in the arena.

As I walked through the arena doors and back to our bench, it fell silent. It was like the whole world knew what was happening and was waiting for my reaction. I kept my head up, shoulders back, and coolly arrived at our bench.

"I want to go back in." I expressed, not even asking as a question. Coach looked at me and I could tell he knew what had happened.

"Devin I can't do that to y-." He said as I cut him off by walking to the side of the court and preparing myself to sub in.

Once in, there was nothing that could stop me.

"This is Booker's fourth 3 pointer in a row Grant, I think the Suns are still in this game."

"79-77 with 13.8 seconds left in the game, its Chicago's possession and I honestly don't know how this is gonna pan out Kenny." The announcers hypothesize about the outcome of the game, but I know we're gonna win. We have to win this.

Joakim passes it to Gasol and I swoop in for the pass, I sprint as fast as my legs can go down the court and set my self up for the three. Next thing I know the crowd's going ballistic.

"SUNS WIN! SUNS WIN!" The chanting and roaring from the crowd consumes me for a split second, but then I snap back into reality.

"Coach, I have to go to the hospital." I scream through the tumult. He nods his head at me in approval and then I dash away into the locker room and grab my car keys without even changing out of my jersey.

A/N: This is my new Devin Booker story :) Hope you enjoy x