forget me not.

There was a sort of numbness that overtook my body, a pain inflicted that I knew would leave a scar. 

If it was true, and my mom really couldn't remember me, would it be betrayal if I left her in hopes that I could possibly spare my own feelings? Or would it come down to the point where I would break in her absence?

"Devin, can I take you home? You need to rest. Trust me when I say that this is a long journey and you'll need all the sleep you can get." The nurse said while cautiously approaching me.

"I can't just leave her." I mumbled back.

"You're not leaving her, just freshening up yourself. Let me take you home or at least back to my place and cook you something, you probably haven't eaten or slept in days and your body really needs those nutrients." She replied, letting her hair down and then looking at my stomach as it began to growl.

"Fine, but only for a couple hours." I said, following her into the elevator. 

-

"You know, I never got your name." I stated while watching the nurse focus on the road.

"It's Tia, Tia Morales." She said, turning her turn signal on and pulling into my driveway.

We both got out of the car and she lingered behind me, as I shuffled to get the door open. "Can you help me?" I asked while slightly laughing. I must have looked like a moron, I mean, who can't open their own front door? 

"Uh sure." She said while instantly getting the door open. "Well I'll leave you here to get freshened up, call me when you need a ride back to the hospital or something." She said and I could feel her discomfort.

"I was really looking forward to your cooking though." I said while trying to make a light joke. "Besides, you're the only person I can actually talk to about any of this. My teammates, they aren't gonna understand, but you're a nurse, you go through hell and back 24/7." 

She reluctantly entered and I shut the door behind her. "Well, this is my house. The bathroom is down that hall over there," I said while pointing to the left, "the kitchen is over here," I said as I lead her to the kitchen, "as for me, I'm going upstairs to take a shower. There's not much home-i-ness, but try to make yourself at home." I said, causing her to laugh a bit. 

"Note-taken." She mumbled. As I began to walk upstairs, I watched her look for pots and pans, anything to make a concoction of food for us. 

-

"You know, you cook a mean spaghetti Tia." I said in between bites.

"Thanks, its nice to meet someone who appreciates it." She said while toying around with her fork, "I could've made something different, but a.) that was all I could find to cook and b.) I usually burn everything." She said while stifling a laugh.

Although the silence had filed its way into the room, it was probably the most at ease I've felt over these past couple of days. I felt refreshed and like I was able to stop worrying about everything.

"Let me get that." I said while taking Tia's plate to the sink along with mine.

"Thank you." She replied, sitting back down at the round table.

"No thank you." I replied, sitting back down at the table. "If it wasn't for you I'd probably still be at the hospital and planning an elaborate scheme to see my mother." 

She half laughed at my comment, "Well it is kinda my job to make sure people are taken care of."

"Its brave, you know, being a nurse and everything. I'm not the best at sympathizing with people, or even filtering out the right things to say. That's why I love basketball, its like, it's just me and the ball on the court. I can tune out everything and speak with how I play." I confessed, tapping my foot against the floor.

"I couldn't do that. I can't tune people out, I take criticism and I wanna know how I can fix myself. It's probably not the best thing to do, fixing my self to fit other peoples standards and stuff, but I just overthink alot. Maybe thats why being a nurse came so natural to me, I would always think of a million poetic things to say and choose what to say at the right given time. It's like, there can't be a bad outcome because people aren't focused on whats being said, but whats being done." 

She thought for a second and then continued, "I have no idea if that made any sense to you at all, sorry."

"You're fine." I chuckled a bit, "It's different meeting a nurse, I'm so used to basketball players or coaches."

"Yeah." She breathed out.

"Well I think we should check back at the hospital and see what's up, unless you want me to come back and let you rest some."

"Nah, rest is for the weak." I said and then checked the time. Damn, it's already been 3 hours? It felt more like 3 seconds.

A/N;

What is to be expected as Tia & Devin arrive back at the hospital?