Once-ler!xShort!Tempermental!Reader! Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The next few days had been weird and quite unpleasant. Oncie's family had come, they were a bunch of rude folks who only cared for their dear Once-ler because of his abundance of money. They cared for nothing else, and he didn't care. It only filled him with greed. He said most of his biggering and factories were so that (Name) would have a nice life, but most of the time it didn't seem like that was the case.

From the point of becoming a greedy suited man, he had cared less and ignored (Y/NN) more. He ignored everyone, even the Lorax and his own suroundings. It was like he didn't notice all the problems he had caused, and he didn't know he was paying for it.

Oncie sat silently in his chair, messing with a few nick nacks on his desk, clearly bored. (Name) sat quietly, except for the occasional coughing fits that came over her. She knew she wasn't well, and she knew exactly why, but she couldn't tell Oncie about it. It would tear him apart.

A low, sad, mumbling voice came from the window, startling Oncie from his chair. He didn't seem happy to see who he saw. The one in his sight was the one thing he wanted to see the least. Lorax.

"So, hows it been? I guess you're proud of what you've done? Happy about all the problems you've caused, how many lives you've ruined?"

"What? No! Get out! You aren't supposed to be here, don't make me have (Y/NN) attack you, she might have a cold, but she will do it." Once seemed angry.

"Oh, I will, but first I have something to say to you... The animals, they have no place to live, no food to eat, no water to drink or air to breathe. It's your fault you know, you caused this, and that-" He pointed at (Y/NN) and frowned sadly. "-She won't attack me, she can't, and she doesn't have a cold, Beanpole, she'll die if she doesn't leave. She doesn't want to out of loyalty, but if she must, she will. If I were you I'd either change my ways fast or say goodbye to your beloved." The Lorax shook his small, furry head. "I have to go now, before I end up like her." He nodded to (Name) once more with his chin before grabbing his rump fur and giving the valley one last sympathetic glance, and he floated away into nothingness.

(Name) lay quietly, watching from beside a truffula stump. Her eyes filled with sorrow.