Six

The next week passed without any issues. Vilkas was good at hiding what he truly thought and felt, especially considering he didn't even know what he felt, though sometimes, he could admit, his fire burned much too bright. He started liking Gwynyn, believe it or not. She warned Kodlak she may be gone for more than a week at a time, but he understood...

Gwynyn and Farkas had gone to Dustman's Cairn, and upon learning about the lycanthropy, she became all the more interested in becoming a Companion. She joined the Circle. Vilkas felt that they were letting her in much too quickly, accepting her in week whilst Ria and Njada were still waiting. But, Kodlak seemed to think she was ready.

Gwynyn, no matter how smart she was, didn't connect her dream and the fact that the Companions were indeed werewolves. Truth in one part usually meant truth in another...

Everyone was gathered around the table in the mead hall, celebrating Gwynyn's new status, drinking as if there was no tomorrow. One word still burnt in Gwynyn's mind: Alduin. She pushed the strangeness of the word away and continued to drink with her newfound friends. She and Ria had grown especially close. Though most of the Companions didn't like magic, Ria had sparked an interest in it, and Gwynyn was planning on teaching her the day after tomorrow.

Vilkas seemed to hate it most of all. She'd used it mostly to warm herself up, her flame magic. Destructive magic didn't always have to be used to destroy things. It made her feel better, stronger, something she lacked on the battlefield.

Gwynyn smiled as Skjor cracked another joke. She looked around, seeing everyone except Kodlak and Vilkas. She presumed the old man was giving him a lecture, probably about the lycanthropy. Gwynyn knew the struggle he was going through, and tried not to pressure him, but it was impossible not to ask questions about it. How did it happen? Why? Does it hurt? Do you remember when you turn back human?

"To Gwynyn!" Aela cheered, raising her glass and smiling wider than ever before. She was drunk beyond wit's end and was sitting in an equally drunk Skjor's lap. Ria was cheering, proud of the Breton, while Njada scowled from her corner. Tilma simply smiled lightly, shaking her head and continued to sweep up after the Companions.

Gwynyn did her best to refrain from drinking. She was only on her second tankard of mead and began her first alto wine. Everyone was enjoying themselves. Farkas laughed loudly as he drank more mead, obviously unable to handle how much he'd put inside himself. He threw his tankard on the ground and stood on his seat.

"To Gwynyn!" He cried before passing out, either from the amount of mead or all the insanity building up in the Nord. Everyone burst out laughing as the slower twin curled into a sound sleep on the floor, and Ria put another glass to her lips. Gwynyn shuffled in her seat uncomfortably, taking another sip of wine. She saw Njada crack a smile as Farkas fell into his alcohol coma.

Everyone else in the hall, including Vignar, Njada, and Tilma, cried out, "To Gwynyn!" She smiled lightly and raised her glass, a symbol of recognition to the people around her. Her vision suddenly danced black and she set her cup down, while everyone else kept on. Aela pushed probably her fifth or sixth back, and Skjor, after pushing Aela off his lap, got in a drinking competition with Njada, who finally sat at the table.

Athis seemed to be the only one with a bit of sanity, stopping after his second mead. Ria continued to drink, as if this were another test proving her honor to the Companions. Aela passed out, finally, and Skjor, of course, beat Njada, and she reluctantly passed on the twenty gold pieces.

Gwynyn smiled. This is family.

***********

No one noticed when Eorlund snuck in from Sky Forge to speak with Kodlak. The Harbinger invited only Vilkas to his room, but Eorlund was about to give Kodlak a piece of his mind. He stormed in, seeing the pair of men sitting at the table.

"Explain!" He shouted at the older Nord, who's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. He set his tankard of mead down, and looked up at his close friend.
"Explain what?" He asked. Kodlak already knew.

Vilkas sat, leaving his full tankard of mead alone, and watched he display before him. It wasn't often Eorlund came down here...it was often he came in Jorrvaskr at all. But it was the rarest of sights to see him barge in here like that, past all the music and shouts from upstairs.

He and Kodlak had been discussing the whel - the New Member of the Circle. Vilkas told reports of her dream, though he knew it was quite personal, and he saw a darkening in the man's eyes, smelling deceit and lies on him. Vilkas began to question his Harbinger for the first time.

"Don't play stupid, Whitemane! The Circle Member, Gwynyn! Gwynyn D'arbel, at that!"
"I don't know if it's her or not." Kodlak said, his voice rising as he touched his forehead with his the tips of his fingers.
"How not, huh?" The blacksmith inquired, causing Vilkas to shrink away, looking back at Kodlak, but Eorlund continued, "She's a spitting image! And half Breton? I had my doubts too when I first met her, but I hear things, Whitemane. I know the truth, and you should too with your lycanthropy and all other bullshit!" Eorlund put much more emphasis on the word bullshit than intended, but he got his point across.
"How am I supposed to tell her? And what if I'm wrong?"
"There's no possible way you're wrong!" Eorlund yelled. There was a fire in his eyes, a rage both werewolves could smell on him. He reeked of it, smelling like nothing but anger and hate. When no one responded, no one made a sound, not even breathing, Eorlund threatened, "If you don't tell her, then I will."
"What will you tell her?" Kodlak asked, anger suppressed as much as possible.
"The truth." Were the last words said in the conversation before Eorlund took his leave, ignoring the shouting Farkas or drowsy Companions celebrating with drink.

Vilkas decided against pressing Kodlak for more information as he dismissed him. He nodded and walked out of the Harbinger's room. Perhaps he should find Eorlund and get answers from him...or maybe ask Gwynyn...he doubted she would know. Of course, that was what the whole argument was about.

Secrets.