Chapter 3- Recovery

He lived. He fought on. He's a trooper.
Caleb had to have multiple surgeries but he kept going. The nurse said he was on the brink of death. I can't believe we almost lost our brother. Hayley and I help him as much as we can.
"Mommy can we go visit Caleb after gymnastics?" I ask her.
"Of course!" Caleb has been in the hospital for two months trying to recover from his surgeries. It doesn't look too good but he stays positive.
"Hey guys!" He smiles.
"Caleb!" We say excitingly and go hug him. "I missed you."
"I just saw you last night."
"I know." We hug him tighter and mommy and daddy joins in.
"How's your scar doing?" Mom asks him. Caleb lifts up his hospital gown to reveal his chest.
"Still hurts but not as bad." I give a smile of sympathy. Caleb had to get open heart surgery. It was too long to just do one and he was under for a long and stressful week. One surgery is to remove some of the large growing muscle that is preventing his ventricles from pumping blood. That one seemed endless. The next one was to put this box that zaps his heart so it can beat easier. I know it's crazy. My parents had to explain it very carefully to me because it was hard to understand. I'm so glad he's better now.
"The doctor said that I might be able to come home before Christmas!" He says joyfully.
"That's great bubs!" Mommy says with tear in her eyes. "I love you baby boy."
"I love you too mom."
"Mom can I have my birthday party here?" I ask. I want Caleb to be included.
"Sure! I think Caleb would like that." Mom says smiling.
A few hours later we have to leave. We hug Caleb and daddy stays over night.
"Mommy would Caleb be able to go back to baseball when he recovers?" I ask my mom.
"Sadly, no. They think his heart would be too unstable to be that athletic.
When we get home I rush to bed.

When it was time for my birthday, we bought some cake,  some snacks, drinks, and decorations. We rush to the hospital so we can put the decorations up in the room. Caleb is allowed to walk around by himself now and we are so happy he's getting better.

When we get there we layout all the snack and we work together to get the decorations up.
"Ooh pretty." Hayley says.
A few minutes later people start coming in. First Katie, Brennan, and Ryan. Then Liv, Brody, and Wyatt. Sydney and Luke also come. A few more coral  girls come like Moo, Peanut, Arden and Amanda.
We sing happy birthday and have a very good time.
"Happy birthday Annie!" They all tell me. We help Caleb down to the big court yard that has a lot of grass. We all play games and do gymnastics. After we are done playing, we open presents. I had an amazing time. Especially since my brother got to be here with us to celebrate.