The Daily Prophet

Harry had left Draco with a kiss before dinner. He'd stomped all the way to the Gryffindor common room and snapped the password to the Fat Lady. He was almost hoping to see Ron so he could punch the red haired git. Instead he found Hermione waiting for him. She sighed sympathetically. Harry threw himself into the puffy chair by the fire and stared into the flames. Hermione laid a hand on his shoulder.

"He'll get over it," Hermione said gently. "Like during the Triwizard Tournament."

"He called Rita Skeeter for Merlins sake!" Harry exploded, frightening a couple of first years. "I mean, what a prat!"

"You know what Moody would have said?" Hermione asked gently. Harry jerked. He'd almost forgotten the conversation he'd had with Moody that day. He was about to tell Hermione about it when he remembered that Moody had told him not to tell anyone. So he kept his mouth shut. But the action wasn't missed by Hermione.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Nothing," Harry said.

"Harry," snapped Hermione. "I'm not stupid. You're hiding something."

"I am not," Harry insisted. "Fine," he snapped a moment later. "Come with me."

They left the common room and Harry lead her to the DADA teachers office. Hermione looked confused. Harry knocked on the door and it was flung open by a man in his cloak.

"What?" he demanded. "Ah, Potter. And a friend. Did you tell her?"

"No," Harry said.

"Tell me what?" Hermione demanded.

Moody ushered them into the office and sat them both down. And he told Hermione the same story he'd told Harry. She burst into tears. She leaped at Moody and hugged him tight.

"Where's Ron?" Moody asked a while later as they sipped Firewhisky in celebration.

"He's being a prat," Harry supplied.

"Like in the Triwizard Tournament?" Moody asked knowingly. Harry nodded fervently and chugged down the rest of his drink. Hermione took small sips, her eyes on Harry. Then she opened her mouth as if to say something but thought better of it. Moody was staring at the ceiling with his magical eye. His face contorted for a second.

"Merlins pants, I hate that Skeeter woman," he growled a moment later. "Want me to do something about her?"

Harry jerked his head up, startled. "What, like turn her into a ferret?"

Moody laughed, "That wasn't really me though. But about you and Malfoy, I was not expecting that!"

"Nor was I," Harry smiled, feeling at ease. He placed his glass on the table and leaned back in the seat. Hermione smoothed her hair back and took a breath.

"I'm thinking of breaking up with Ron," she sighed.